Crap seal on alloy wheels?

Astro_Al

I've just fitted new tyres to old rims... The best way is to take the tyre off and buff the inside edge of the rim and the perpendicular face on the bead (don't know its proper name). We then painted on a black bead sealing compound that set before fitting the tyres - Subsequently, they are all holding air fine.

(Shame they don't fit the car though!! :angry: )

Hi

Had this on o/s/f wheel on my 2001 TD4 - i thought that i had a puncture so off to local tyre repairers. Turned out no pucture but leaking rim/tyre seal. Fitter took the tyre off the rim, cleaned up the tyre and rim and refitted. No problems since so it might just be worth a trip to yours to ask their advice!

It didn't leak before they fitted a new tyre!

I now have 2 slow leaks (one has always been there).

They also broke my locking wheel nut adapter tool, so I've replaced all the special nuts with bog standard ones.

That was quite a service! (Micheldever Tyres - always over-egg the air-rachet pudding).

Al.

It didn't leak before they fitted a new tyre!

Alloy wheel rust at the bead because of the water than get between tyre and rim.

When I was working a garage I always cleaned the alloy rim beads with a wire brush and some 120 grit paper to make sure of a good seal. What they have done if disturb the 'flakes' of rust and this has lead to a slow leak.

A little tyre soap on the rim as well as the tyre can also help with seating of the tyre and reduce the likeihood of leaks.

Now watch how many K**k F*t monkeys go to all that trouble :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...