how do you work out your mpg?

maxtherotti

To be really accurate you need to check it over several tank fulls, I keep total anorak mpg records for my road cars so the (dare I say it) JEEP Patriot has averaged 42.69 mpg from day 1, it's got the VW 2 litre diesel which is renowned for good economy.

My Rangie with a 200 tdi is now giving a smidge over 30mpg, but it doesn't do too many miles also spends a lot of time in low range greenlaning, so I am well pleased with that as well.

i would have pref to have had a rrc tdi over a disco if im 100% honest but this disco seemed a good buy (before the clutch went lol) and the lack of very good 300 tdi rrc under 3k left me little option

but im starting to like the disco more now i have started to get the little bits sorted

rob

I used to have a spreadsheet in Excel where I would enter the date, the mileage, the litres of fuel and the cost. The spreadsheet then gave me a running average for each fill up and for the month and year along with the costs. I could plot a graph of mileage and fuel consumption over the year to see when I was more efficient and when I was doing more mileage.

In my car it has a trip computer that tells me for each trip, much easier but no long term record.

i would have pref to have had a rrc tdi over a disco if im 100% honest but this disco seemed a good buy (before the clutch went lol) and the lack of very good 300 tdi rrc under 3k left me little option

but im starting to like the disco more now i have started to get the little bits sorted

rob

i didn't pay 3k for mine but it is a convertion not factory fitted

I used to have a spreadsheet in Excel where I would enter the date, the mileage, the litres of fuel and the cost. The spreadsheet then gave me a running average for each fill up and for the month and year along with the costs. I could plot a graph of mileage and fuel consumption over the year to see when I was more efficient and when I was doing more mileage.

I do just the same.

i didn't pay 3k for mine but it is a convertion not factory fitted

i looked at 1 very late m reg soft dash factory 300tdi that was top money for me (£2800) and was super shiney and mint inside then i crawled underneath and spotted the distinct lack of sills/x member and boot floor :blink:

said ill pass and it was sold the next day!!!

the disco by comparison is very solid underneath bit has a few scabby bits on the outside

rob

im my numbers above are lots of town runs of under 3 miles there and back

o and work is exactly 1 mile door to door too so that prob dont help either

rob

Then why drive? i rarely use mine the short runs around town i've been doing lately were only because of moving heavy stuff couldnt make the gf walk home the half mile from work with the 2 batteries she got me! simerly helping a mate move a mile ocross town would be tricky on foot. Usualally only use it for long runs out of town

i used to work out my mileage quite accurately - and then i realised when i was using my gps one day that the speedo was out by about 10%.

So that meant all my fuel economy figures were out by the same. Absolutely no point doing it unless you are completely sure your speedo is accurate. I used to be well pleased to be getting an average of 32mpg out of my tdi 90 until i realised the above, so therefore my real mpg was 29...

Mud tyres, snorkel and fuelling tweaks put paid to that figure! Down to about 25-26mpg now.

I dont bother checking accurately anymore, all i do is an approximation of how much i get to a full tank of diesel. If i see the overall range dropping by a good margin, I know somethings wrong or it needs a service. With a new air and fuel filter, I get about 50-80 miles more per tank.

My wife's 4.6 hse I just don't want to know what it dose to the gallon on her weekly trip to London or Wales. The Disco is the same although its a TD5 I just don't want to know as it only depresses me.

The funny thing is I borrowed my mums Laguna to drive the three hours to Donnington for fear of the cost of fuel but all the wife could say after the first 45 mins was I'd rather we paid the extra £40 in fuel and went in the rangy :huh: then on the way home just before we got home in the winchester traffic after induering six ours of complants about how littls she could see and how uncomftable the car was she stated "You can forget getting a estate car you just drive too fast we'll just have to stick with the Disco and RR" I was gutted :P