Fitting that damn shock split pin!

Cartman

OK. Now I have done this time and again but it is always a PITA so am I missing something?

You fit the new shock with new bushes of course then you have to fit the washers and split pin at the base mounting plate on the axle assy. Now beating 8 bells of hell out of the pin with some subtle nudging usually, eventually, works but how does everyone else get the thing in the hole? There must be an easier way?

I used to use a large G clamp and a piece of tube with a slot cut in it, put the tube on the washer with the slot lined up to the split pin hole, tighten up G cramp and the hole will appear, slide in split pin, always worked for me until I lost the bit of tube in a clear out :unsure::unsure:

Indeed, this split pens are a real pain in the ... when new bushes are fit.

After a couple of blisters, a few split pens sent to Walhalla and a lot of cursing, I used an old screwdriver on which I made a point. From the opposite side, using tool nr. 1 (big fat hammer), I pushed the washer aside with the screwdriver and rammed the split pen in place, pushing the screwdriver out...

(sorry for my English, I am native Dutch speaking...)