squeal transformation

Griffin

Well starting with my discovery had a common sqeaul. Thought well the belts haven't been changed for a while so i did that(serpentine and ac). Everything goes pretty smoothly the serpentine belt wasnt worn at all however the ac belt was on its way to go off.

Before i touched the belts the squeal was constant normal noise, however now it is almost nothing on idle but starts more and more when the rpm goes up. Im almost 100% sure it comes from the pulley(the one with the 3bolts) next to the automatic tensioner. Does anyone happen to have the part number for that one? couldn't find it anywhere...........

Could it be anything else?

Appreciate any help it drives me nuts!

thanks i will try to change the bearing first, seem like a really nice DIY.

Seems to be the same bearing as they use in horseraces....

http://www.hjulmakarn.se/kullager-skf/6203...-6203-2rsh.html

Awesome thread by the way:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3904

i did this job last year - went as sweet as a nut - following the thread pictures.

the bearing i bought was 62032RSR Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing

(Also Known as DDU, DU, LLU, LU, RSH or RS) 17x40x12mm

from SimplyBearings.co.uk it cost under £2.00.

good luck

Big John

awesome DIY everything worked perfectly........however the squeal is still not gone! im so sad!

Changed the belt(s!) bearings and at the end it seems to come down to the waterpump which i dont feel like changing at all for the moment!

Wonder how much longer i can drive until it totally blows up, have a 900km trip up north coming up on sunday.....

ended up buying a new genuine belt(i know its the same dayco, however the landrover sign makes me feel good).

Squeal stopped for now, will change the water pump pulley too and see how long it will last.!

Thanks a lot for all the help!

• 1 month later...
ended up buying a new genuine belt(i know its the same dayco, however the landrover sign makes me feel good).

Squeal stopped for now, will change the water pump pulley too and see how long it will last.!

Thanks a lot for all the help!

try squirting talcum powder on your pulleys it works a treat!!

Had the same thing, changed the bearing on the tensioner and it went ........ and came back. Changed the belt it went .........and came back. Changed the water pump and it went for good........ as did the P gasket aaaarrgh.

Well changed the P gasket and guess what .......... the squeals back. Sure its the tensioner again.

well for now its still gone, has been gone for the past 1700km. Im pretty sure one day it will come back.

As for now i got lots of other things to fix on it so i dont feel to sorry about it...

1, Steering pump fluid leaking somewhere.

2, Some yellow/brown fluid leaking under the oil sump.

3, Braking vibration.

:lol: sure keeps me busy

Tried the penny trick yet? - Put a penny behind the tensioner assembly at the 9 o'clock position - solves it 99% of the time.........

You must elaborate on this one ........... behind the unit or the wheel ? How does it work ? Cant be an Aprils fool as its the 2nd.

Cheers

(if it works i owe you a beer)

Simple enough to do:

Take the tension off the belt in the usual way (15mm socket, long bar, lift pulley up then slide the belt off the water pump pulley - no need to take the whole thing off.) relax the tensioner back down. Undo the nut that holds the tensioner body to the timing chest, a few turns is enough, just far enought to fit a penny or similar sized coin or washer behind the tensioner body at the 9 o'clock position as you look at it. Then do the nut back up whilst holding the penny in place between the timing chest and the tensioner body. This has the effect of twisting the tensioner assmbly over toward the block and it lines the pulley up better with the belt. Re-fit the belt and off you go - no more squeal.

Its not an april fool! Its a very common fix I've used loads of times even on WOLFs at work! I've not had to use it on my Disco yet as I only use gen parts belts and tensioners, but if mine does develope a squeal, It'll be getting done to mine......

• 1 year later...

Simple enough to do:

Take the tension off the belt in the usual way (15mm socket, long bar, lift pulley up then slide the belt off the water pump pulley - no need to take the whole thing off.) relax the tensioner back down. Undo the nut that holds the tensioner body to the timing chest, a few turns is enough, just far enought to fit a penny or similar sized coin or washer behind the tensioner body at the 9 o'clock position as you look at it. Then do the nut back up whilst holding the penny in place between the timing chest and the tensioner body. This has the effect of twisting the tensioner assmbly over toward the block and it lines the pulley up better with the belt. Re-fit the belt and off you go - no more squeal.

Its not an april fool! Its a very common fix I've used loads of times even on WOLFs at work! I've not had to use it on my Disco yet as I only use gen parts belts and tensioners, but if mine does develope a squeal, It'll be getting done to mine......

Having read this we've just done the crowd stopping squeal on my 95 disco and I'm glad to say its easy and it works!!!!