Genuine or Replacement?

TheSaint

Hi!

I have orderd Genuine springs from LRSeries for my Discovery! When I opend the box they sent me, the springs were from Britpart! Can these be Genuine springs? I paid around £40 each. The same company also sells something called Replacement springs for £27 each.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Genuine and Replacement in this certain case? It doesn´t feel right to pay £40 for a spring from Britpart?

The part numbers are: front NTC8477 and rear ANR4491

Regards:

Fredrik

Sweden

Many of the Britpart retailers advertise OEM parts as being Genuine. I don't think they do that because they don't know the difference, it's just a matter of (bad) marketing.

I think there have been some topics on this forum on similar subjects.

I suppose you got OEM springs. If there are no LR stickers on them or the boxes then they are not Genuine.

If they're OEM they should be color coded. I never saw pattern versions of the springs so I can't tell if they are color coded or not or what's the difference.

Anyway, you have the right to return them and get your money back if no LR stickers and you're not happy with that.

I have had a look at Rimmers site for NTC8477 they would like £48.43 inc VAT or £23.69 inc Vat for a NTC8477P patten spring.

There are a few parts suppliers that quote the LR part number so you think your getting a genuine part, but in their small print they say the number is a guide only.

Also mentioned in various forums is the problems with Britpart springs ie. the vehicle is higher at the back than the front or is lop sided. A good reason to fit Genuine Parts

Good luck and let us all know how u get on.

When I emaild the selling company and asked them about Genuine/replacement they replay the following:

Hello Fredrik

These are Genuine springs that we sourced through a special offer in conjunction with Britpart.

If you are unhappy with them please return them to us.

Best regards, Kelly.

Have Britpart made a higher quality spring just for LRSeries? They are colured with original colour code e.g. grey/brown for ANR4491

Should I return them or what do you think?

A bit of a mine field road springs.

First ANR4491 is not in my Discovery parts catalogue and on a diesel disco the front springs are 'handed' different pt no. for drivers and passengers side also different for LHD drivers side and it all depends on VIN. Where did you get the part numbers from?

This link will show the colour codes. http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

If you go ahead and fit them that's up to you, although I think would return them, not easy from where you are, and get get a full refund including carrage and then start again.

For £40 a spring I'd want a actual genuine parts in a genuine parts box with a genuine parts sticker on, not "oh Sh*tpart found some genuine bits down the back of their sofa but they don't have genuine boxes for them" - b*ll*cks - everything Britpart make they say is "as good as genuine" and we know how true that is. :ph34r:

A fave trick of the online parts places is in the small print "manufacturer's part number for reference only" <_< paddocks often list genuine parts with a "G" tagged on the end of the OE part number, otherwise you get whatever they can find.

For £40 a spring I'd want a actual genuine parts in a genuine parts box with a genuine parts sticker on, not "oh Sh*tpart found some genuine bits down the back of their sofa but they don't have genuine boxes for them" - b*ll*cks - everything Britpart make they say is "as good as genuine" and we know how true that is. :ph34r:

A fave trick of the online parts places is in the small print "manufacturer's part number for reference only" <_< paddocks often list genuine parts with a "G" tagged on the end of the OE part number, otherwise you get whatever they can find.

If you paid for genuine parts you want genuine parts. Simple. I'd return hem and also suggest that they change their advert. I hate it when companies do this, it's a waste of evryones time.

I bought some HD spring off ebay recently - they are colour coded and listed under the part numbers - but when they came were britpart items....

Ebay link

They were though £34 per pair.

I think the whole thing is a minefield and I think you could end up returning most of the springs that you got sent by most of the suppliers - perhaps the only way to guarantee LR parts is to buy them from LR?

For the price of yours though I think I'd return them.

Thank you so much everyone!

I will return the springs and buy real genuine ones! Do you know any company selling original LR spings?

The company have now change their webpage so its even more confusing and expensive:

Brand New (Genuine): £51.74 inc VAT (what I orderd tree weeks ago and recived Britpart)

Brand New (OEM): £32.19 inc VAT (when I orderd tree weeks ago called Replacements)

But if anyone can recomend a retailer that sells genuine parts I would be most satisfied!

Yes, but they are quite expensive in Sweden and therefore I asume they are cheaper in UK, but I can be wrong. In Sweden they charge £71 each per spring. Is it more or less the same price in UK maybe?

Another one from Sverige.

Try here: http://www.bildelsbasen.se/

Harry's in Malmö has become one of the largest suppliers of Land Rover parts. I would check them out as they are reasonable with their prices. I've even got them to go lower on their prices a few times, once even buying Defender 90 springs. ;)

Todd.