What or who is responsible for getting you into L/Rs

white90

I lay the blame :)

Squarely at the Door of a good friend and ex work colleague Dick Squance and his series IIa

He took me and some others greelaning after work and I was hooked big time.

the first L/R we got was the 3dr 300TDI Disco but no offfroading in that

So I got the S1 Hybrid from Leicester 5hrs of the longest drive of my life getting that home to Devon.

First Trips were disastrous, culminating in a 3mile walk with Mrs C across Exmoor after sinking it in a bog

picked up by the Police then dropped at the local Pub where a friendly Very Drunk farmer went and got his tractor

we embarked on recovering it, job done Val and I got home around 2200hrs, Luckily we went very well equipped

we had:

two rubber floor mats

x1 bottle jack (borrowed from Discovery)

and a Video Camera :)

that was the grand total....

coiler_7774365.jpg

But still hooked I set about sorting it out

but a Forum trip to the Plain N30 :) and 50mph all the way there and back

I set my sights on a 90, it took a little while till I could afford one

that was the start of the White90 experience ..

90_8448448.jpg

As fate would have it I then sold the S1 to Dick and he sold it on to his relation whom still has it today.

Quite simply though this single vehicle brand has got me more friends and contacts and made the world a far smaller place than anyone/thing else

that has gone before it.

The rest they say is history.

Vague memories of a trip from Kent to Reading in 1963 (I was 5) in a SWB my father had borrowed. I also had the classic 60s advert for all the Land Rover varients in my diggers scrap book :rolleyes:

Next major influence was seeing a 109 pull away on a snow covered hill in about 1980 and thinking I need one of those! Got my first one shortly after, very steep and expensive learning curve but I'm still addicted.

For me it was the spring of 1989, approx 2PM one Sunday afternoon. I was sat in the back garden of a friend's parents having polished off a BBQ and had a few drinks when there was some noise and commotion coming from the disused railway line that ran near the house and in particular the old railway tunnel. being in a remote location we went to investigate and as we headed toeards the noise this beat up wreck of a Land Rover came bursting through the undergrowth.

it turned out that the estate my friend's dad worked for had agreed to let something called the "ARC National" take place next to his house. I was a keen photographer so took full advantage of this opportunity to watch motor sport and take photos whilst sat in the back garden with a BBQ, in the process I got hooked on these seemingly indestructable vehicles, they would roll them on their roofs, marshals and spectators would descend on them, roll them back on their wheels and they'd set off again as if nothing had happened !

As soon as I could afford one after that I bought my first Land Rover and they've been an obsession ever since.

Necessity for me. I was a forestry worker and it was hard work parking on the road and then carrying chainsaws, rucksack, combi-can, etc, to the job. I bought a 1974 S3 109 for £250 and then spent £1600 doing it up. I got into off-roading on the old LRE website.

Les.

I had a friend with a SIII 88" while I was driving a modified GAZ-69 for fun. The Land Rover had (still has!) something special that made an impression on me. Not to speak of everything around like magazins, web etc.

So off I went to buy a 109" STW, later replaced with my everyday driven 110. I'm hooked... :rolleyes:

I'll blame the Army, who put me and boxes of spanners in SIII 109s as a REME TA soldier. I even learnt how not to get stuck quite so often.

I'm back into Land Rovers after looking for a "Durable Car" to replace a Vauxhall Vectra which needed more spending on it than it was worth. One eBay 110 later I'm as hooked as any drug addict.

when i finished uni and got a job, i was looking for some cheap transport instead of catching 2 buses and a tram and spending 3 hours on public transport per day.

I had my heart set on another motorbike, but the missus really hated the idea. In steps my mate from across the road and offers me his old series 2a lwb that he had almost finished putting back on the road.

An offer was made - i help him finish it off and give him £200 and i could have it. He didnt want to sell, but his girlfriend had had enough and wanted her back garden back (recurring theme that with so many of us!).

so we got it welded up and MOT'd and i've been hooked since.

My old man driving us around the shetland isles in a 110 county when I was about 7! off through fields, rivers, down to the beaches, on to the cliff tops and every time we wanted to park it outside the house he had to drive over a ditch and doing it without any problems!

I blame Paul Wightman!!! Indirectly, of course, but it's definitely his fault somewhere down the line!!

Our dad is a keen restorer of old vehicles (mainly buses) so it was only natural for us to get involved in spanner-slinging from a young age. Mark and I restored a Series IIa 109 to its former glory from the chassis up and I've had an interest in Land Rovers since then, but a marshalling experience at one of Paul's Slindon events was what pushed me over the edge!!

Seeing a bunch of nut-cases throwing their 90s etc into places that I deemed impossible to walk was a truely enlightening experience. I knew I'd fit right in....

My Dad came home with a 109 one day when I was a kid. I fell in love with them and bought one as my first car. They are all I've owned since, well Range Rovers and Discoverys too. Drove them when I worked in the mine for a while too.

i would its not down to any one just down to the fact that landrovers have been a long time farmers friend, and after dad got a very ruff S3 when i was 8, he only keeped it for a year but i was hooked

after i pass my driving test and dads old 504 pick up rotted out dad got a 110 hi-cap pick up witch i got to drive so i saved up and got my S3 TD

When I was 16 I got hold of a load of old custom car magazines and there was a series of articles by the mags photographer about building a V8 S1 and that was it I didn't want a custom car anymore. Took me 5 years to get my first Land Rover (20 years ago) and haven't been without one since. The photographers name was Pete Robain, does anybody else blame him?

It was my Mum she got my dad into them when she had her's in the 70's as a radiographa and for towing the boat my Dad had.

Then my dad got a 110 V8 in about 85 which is the first one I remember. So it his fault for me and my brother

A Vauxhall Frontera :)

After some expensive damage I decided I needed a cheap Land Rover.

I have since discovered that there is no such thing as a cheap Land Rover :)

SNAP(ish)

Bought a Vauxhall Frontera Soft Top.

Greenlaning and the Vauxhall Off Road Club dented and scratched it.

It was still a relatively new and smart looking car. I had some spare cash so bought a 90.

9 years later I still have the (now 20yr old) 90 and a 110 for the family.

The 90 is now totally impractical for us but is a family friend so we cannot pass it on!

My father (God rest his soul) got a 109 Station Wagon 2.25 n/a diesel when I was 9. Got it off a chap who was funding a single handed Atlantic crossing. (He got refused entry at New York as he had no visa). Anyway, father got 'an acre standing' and I help him deliver logs around the village in the Land Rover.

Father was also into motorbike trials in the 60s.....so I guess it's in the blood :)

It was my Mum she got my dad into them when she had her's in the 70's as a radiographa and for towing the boat my Dad had.

Then my dad got a 110 V8 in about 85 which is the first one I remember. So it his fault for me and my brother

As jules said ( funny that considering that we are brothers :rolleyes: )

My first car i ever went it was a S2, which my mum owned when i was born

My dad was always mad on Land rovers , Although he had a P6 V8 and my mum had a P6 2ltr when Jules was born (in that lovely 70's orange :lol: )

As Jules said he had one of the first 110 V8's which he drove to holidays in the South of France every Year. So lots of memories with that car . But he made sure we had Land rovers as our first cars. Including our 5 foot nothing older sis who had an S3 Diesel as her first car . which i then bought off her and broke and she has still not forgiven me for that :rolleyes:

My Mum and Dad played a big part, as they ran a series 2A as a family car when my brother and I were kids.. my Dad had a series 1 before i was born aswell...

My Grandad also ran a mobile welding business out the back of an old series truck (had PTO driven lincoln welder on board)

I went on a holiday to Australia in 2000, and did a 4x4 trip accross the snowy mountains..

8 months later the VW GTi had been replaced by a 300Tdi 110 hardtop...

The youth club I went to had a series 2a LWB and a trailer and it took us plus a load of camping and fishing gear all over the place. It gave me a fondness for Land Rovers that has stayed with me over the years.

Years later my Bedford Midi van had a nasty habit of getting stuck at various fishing venues and I was towed out more than a few times by Defenders and Discos. So when the Midi failed the MOT and I found it was going to cost more in parts alone than the van was worth I scrapped it and went off in search of a Defender. :)

A few years ago (end of 2004) I was looking for a new car to replace my aging Merc. It would have to be something special, but usable, not to expensive, classic styling and non of 'em fancy gadgets. First candidate was a 10 year Lotus Esprit, great driver's car, but not what you'd call practical. :ph34r:

So the search went on, until I considered a Defender 110. Started searching for info on the internet, got in touch with the Belgian Land Rovers Owner Club and discovered LRs could also be used for affroading. So instead of a 110, I went for a testdrive in a 90 (to save some money for accessorries).

I was hooked immediately: soon after I ordered a 90. :i-m_so_happy:

My Father was the man who i blame and also my wife blames, as he showed me a picture when i was five of him going omani waddi bashing in Oman in the 70's in a early 3 door rangy classic. And then him self owning a fair few landys. I also blame the Armed Forces as from a little boy i was always seeing them on convoys and that was that i am hooked.