Clutch Pedal wierdness...

v8bertha

Hi all,

I've just had a phone call from SWMBO saying that the clutch pedal on the Freelander (2ltr L series) has sprung up and hit the dash :blink:

She reckons it still works ok but you have to be some sort of double-jointed-leg-strangeness to operate comfortably, so has taken the car home for now. I'm still at work so can't get to have a look at it until tonight, but thought I'd try to get a bit of a head start by asking if anybody has experienced anything like this and if so what was the cause?

Sooooo... any takers?

Cheers

Dan :)

Hi all,

I've just had a phone call from SWMBO saying that the clutch pedal on the Freelander (2ltr L series) has sprung up and hit the dash :blink:

She reckons it still works ok but you have to be some sort of double-jointed-leg-strangeness to operate comfortably, so has taken the car home for now. I'm still at work so can't get to have a look at it until tonight, but thought I'd try to get a bit of a head start by asking if anybody has experienced anything like this and if so what was the cause?

Sooooo... any takers?

Cheers

Dan :)

sounds like the master cylinder has unclipped from the pedal. shouldn't still work tho unless the pedal is catching the pushrod on the way back down. Only other thing would be if the pushrod has become detached from the master cylinder. either way, surprised it's still working, but it won't be for long.

Mr Eggnchips sir... ta for the reply :)

That is initially what I thought, but having spent 5 mins in an awkward upside down position its plain to see that the pedal is still connected to the push-rod bit. There is very little resistance from the pedal until it reaches its normal position, then you get the normal clutch pedal resistance.

Wierd 'cos I can't actually see anything that would normally stop the pedal from springing up, so I'm assuming for the moment that either the pushrod has broke but is still acting on the piston when pushing the pedal back down.

I'm gonna get a new clutchy bit ordered, IIRC its all one bit now, master slave and pipework and get that fitted hopefully Thursday.

She managed to drive it to work this morning ok... just waiting for the phone call on the way home to say shes stranded somewhere!! :lol:

Les... URGGHHH! What, all hairy and bandy??? :ph34r::lol:

JU... Have you not been introduced to the wonders of facebook yet?? Fingers crossed she's pickin up the new toy at the weekend :D

Mr Eggnchips sir... ta for the reply :)

That is initially what I thought, but having spent 5 mins in an awkward upside down position its plain to see that the pedal is still connected to the push-rod bit. There is very little resistance from the pedal until it reaches its normal position, then you get the normal clutch pedal resistance.

Wierd 'cos I can't actually see anything that would normally stop the pedal from springing up, so I'm assuming for the moment that either the pushrod has broke but is still acting on the piston when pushing the pedal back down.

I'm gonna get a new clutchy bit ordered, IIRC its all one bit now, master slave and pipework and get that fitted hopefully Thursday.

She managed to drive it to work this morning ok... just waiting for the phone call on the way home to say shes stranded somewhere!! :lol:

Les... URGGHHH! What, all hairy and bandy??? :ph34r::lol:

JU... Have you not been introduced to the wonders of facebook yet?? Fingers crossed she's pickin up the new toy at the weekend :D

Had this problem once before ,all that stops the pedal comming right up is a little piece off plastic which has snaped off when you get the new one you will see what i mean . There was nothing wrong with the hydraulics on the one i replaced , just good old landrover build quality . if it had been mine and and not a customers i would have just made a little bracket up to hold the pedal down in its normal position

Well, I changed the whole clutch hydraulics thingy (STC000180) and the problem is now solved.

Visually there wasn't much to see, but when I pulled the metal push rod at the pedal end of the system it pops out of the rubber boot. Easy enough to put it back in again. However it would appear that its only the rubber boot that was stopping the push rod from separating from the master cylinder.

As was suggested by RopeRunner, you could probably just get away with fabbingsomething up to stop the pedal coming up any further than its normal position (or in true Land Rover styleeee, just add a couple of cable ties and some gaffer tape ;) ) and that probably would have become a permanent bodge ;)

Anyway, I now have a working car again :)

Cheers

D