what causes a whine

wozza35

Right as most people on here are not afraid to get their hands dirty and strip things down i was wondering if anyone could give any clues as to what might cause a transmission whine ??

I think (but i am probably wrong) that it is more likely to be the transfer box as it only happens over 50 mph

The fluids have been replaced in both boxes and front flange and seal done on the tbox and no worn teeth or bearing movement were apparent

so any ideas and is it repairable at home ??? or do i get a good used t-box or a recon??

Okay you said over 50 but is the wine there in 4th or just 5th any particular gear the wine is heard in?

;);):o

**To whine means to make a long, high-pitched noise, especially one which sounds sad or unpleasant.

**Wine is an alcoholic drink which is usually made from grapes

few possibilities

1. wheel bearing

2. t-box bearing

3. clutch bearing

at 50mph or 80kmh, when you back off the gas slightly does the whining drop or stop?

when going down hill at that speed, clutch in, does it stop?

usually wheel bearing whines are constant even when "rolling" along at 50mph. when you back off the gas, if the whining drops, the problem is usually either 2 or 3.

has the t-box been opened up before?

when was the last time the clutch was changed?

few possibilities

1. wheel bearing

2. t-box bearing

3. clutch bearing

at 50mph or 80kmh, when you back off the gas slightly does the whining drop or stop?

when going down hill at that speed, clutch in, does it stop?

usually wheel bearing whines are constant even when "rolling" along at 50mph. when you back off the gas, if the whining drops, the problem is usually either 2 or 3.

has the t-box been opened up before?

when was the last time the clutch was changed?

Thanks for at least one sensible reply :P well looking at the list yes the whine does stop if you take your foot off the gas and if you put the clutch in

now i think looking at it the t box may have been opened before as there are a couple of new looking gaskets that also have a slight weep

the clutch was done about 20k miles ago

so it could be the clutch or tbox ?? what makes you think its not the gearbox??

Dont forget, your diff nose bearing, My front whines like a pig at anything over a 40mph,

To check just wobble the prop where it attaches to the diff, if it sort of wobbles like a slightly failed uj, then that could be it, so long as the uj isnt wobbling

no fixed answer to that one.

usually when the t-box has been opened and the gears are new or have been moved from the original place in relative to the bearing and bearing are not changed, it's highly possible this will happen as the bearings have already worn in a certain way.

if the clutch has seen over 150k km and not changed, it could be that too. symptoms like not fully disengaging when the gear box is in neutral while coasting to a stop. Clutching in again will release the clutch plate fully.

yes, of cos the play in the u-joins on the prop shaft are the no 1. culprits too. put the truck into gear 3 (engine off), park brake off. get under and get someone to rock the truck back and forth. see any shift in the prop, besides normal rotation? there you go, replace U-joints and try again. or you can try to grab hold of the prop and see if it moves up and down, basically you are looking for movement at the u - joints.

in a nut shell, whinings are usually either

1. bearing related

2. female related