Footwell Variations?

I need to swap out the LH footwel on my '83 110 - and notice the original footwell seems to be a double-skinned type, with a ribbed outer (!).

Pics of the drivers footwell here (this one not rusted through):

http://www.davecoxon.co.uk/footwel1.JPG

http://www.davecoxon.co.uk/footwel2.JPG

http://www.davecoxon.co.uk/footwel3.JPG

All the pics I see of other (admittedly later) bulkheads have smooth, not ribbed profile on the lower, forward skin (I'm assuming they are all double skinned). I'm curious if this was just on early 110's or whatever?

Were the later bulkheads still double skinned? Any reason why I can't use the (smooth) panels from YRM?

Can't vouch for the Puma. But up to TD5 all the bulkheads have the external ribbing in the footwell. Anything else and it has been repaired. Not a bad thing as long as it has been done well.

;) I have a ripped one but I am wondering why Land Rovers leak? I have deligently read the water ingress manual but it still baffles me why the d¤#& truck leaks? Many cars I have owed never have this symptom! Sorry ... Hope this is not an OT... :unsure:

I dunno. Have a look round the ohter manufacturer forums and I think you'll find there are plenty of vehicles that suffer water in the footwells.

At work we've had Peugeots, Volvos and Vauxhalls that do it.

On the Peugeot we had a 405 and the sills were half full of water, when you braked you could hear it sloshing about!

On the Peugeot we had a 405 and the sills were half full of water, when you braked you could hear it sloshing about!

:o;) I guess it is fishing time in the peugeot then :blink: . Why can't manufacturers build a box which is sealed on all corners to avoid this trait!! There is still condensation in mine but I am still searching to seal it off completely...I am surprised other cars do leak. I though it was a speciality of Landies... :huh:

Can't vouch for the Puma. But up to TD5 all the bulkheads have the external ribbing in the footwell. Anything else and it has been repaired. Not a bad thing as long as it has been done well.

Well, that leaves me feeling a little silly! I guess I've been looking at pics of bulkheads with replaced footwels!

I think I'm going to make my own up as the sides are fine - it is just the other parts that are bogus.

What do you reckon then, 16 gauge (1.5mm) as a suitable thickness?