TD5, Next generation 2,5TD?

Soren Frimodt

Hi chaps.

My mate is running one of these lovely TD5 engines in his 110.

It started overheating and had a "Ticking" noise from the engine. So he decided to take it apart to find out what was going on, and look what he discovered!

Never have I seen such bad engineering in my whole life! (And I often repair china bikes)

I really don't hope the engine was fabricated this way??

Could anybody shed some light on this?

Thank you from a shocked dane :)

post-9137-1235421071_thumb.jpg

They look to be 'fracture split' to me - they're cast with a notch in them and then hit with a hammer (but more cleverly). It's a manufacturing technique to prevent the two halves from 'fretting' against each other - nature ensures they fit perfectly back together again and it just happens to be quicker to make them too because there's two fewer machining operations.

The bearing shells I can't speak for...

This is how they're supposed to look like. I don't see anything wrong.

The bigends are fractured the same way you would fracture your forearm if you'd want to and they are left like that.

The rough surface on the ends looks as supposed to.

I hope you made notes/marks as to what cap goes to which conrod and which way round ...

Okay, thought somebody on here would know :) I have never heard about this fracture splitting of conrods before, but get the idea.

But still I think its a crappy way to do it, what if one egde of at fracture touches another, just a bit, when tightening? It would go all pairshaped (hope its spelled correct)

and result in slack..

Well as I wrote earlier it is just a friend of mine who has send the pictures. So I hope he knows which ones belong together. :)

what if one egde of at fracture touches another, just a bit, when tightening? It would go all pairshaped (hope its spelled correct)

and result in slack..

Crank shafts and big end shells are made to very high tolerances so as long as the crank and shells are good quality they should be fine.

Chris

I think the td5 is the best engine land rover had ever produced.

My TD5 Disco is now approaching 400000 km's, all with a 3 tonne trailer at 120 KM/h, I haven't had a single engine problem. Doesn't smoke and doesn't use any oil...

My 300 defender is good, but my td5 is way better...(but today went to see a tdv6, and think I'm going to buy that tomorrow, hope it will be as good as the td5)

The Td5 is an engine that thrives on work - I know of a couple that must be pushing towards 200k miles and still run perfectly, and that's down here which is probably worth double that mileage on a European motorway.

Conversely the ones that are low mileage never-been-warm shopping trolleys seem to F up in double quick time - I've heard of a couple with serious bore wear problems at very low mileages (20-30k I think).

I still don't like them though, never have.

Mines of the 'lose oil pump' era and although I don't know for sure I guess it's done around 120k at least and I put another 10k on top of that around Europe and yeah mated to my RRC axles it goes slow and revs high but I LOVE it. And I'm a V8 man. But it's just been rock solid and I've given it dogs abuse by times. Hell on the oil pump thing, when I did a once over on the lump before setting off on my adventure I was pretty sure I over torqued the bolt on the pump sprocket but I still have oil pressure so...

I love that thing Td5's do when you come off the gas to idle, the way it kinda dips and goes quiet before settling back to that 5pot chattery idle. God I miss my RR

The cap cracking thing makes sense, must provide more surface area too?