Time to mod the suspension! But how?

The suspension on my truck is largely standard, but i think lacking in articulation. I bought a set of Gwyn Lewis shock mounts, and intend to buy some +5.5 inch shocks when I can afford.

Can I use my standard springs with this setup? Or would it be better to use range rover springs, which i assume are softer and longer? Or is this shock absorber setup only really suitable for lifted vehicles?

What do you have on your setup?

Please feel free to air any thoughts or ideas, I'm new to this coil sprung lark so im all ears

Cheers

Roland :)

On the GWL kit, Im pretty sure you can run standard springs, standard trailing arms and standard radius arms.

All his kit is, longer shocks, forward and lower mounts on the rear, Higher turret with built in cone on the front, and the heavy duty spring retainers on the front and rear. It's very simple, very strong and galvanised. Mine is on his site, the black puma

I just fitted his competition shock mounts, and the terrafirmas at the weekend (dislocation cones are a must, by the way!). Haven't tried it in anger yet thanks to some smacked wheel studs needing replaced, but it certainly looks the biz....

Will need to sort out a mount and check-chain for jacking the wheel up now. Gwyn clarified to me that the +5.5" is for the extra TRAVEL in the shock, and doesn't refer to the height you must or mustn't have above stock springs.

IMG_0174.JPG

That's still not at full stretch. Am wondering if I might need some longer cones - if you are buying, I'd recommend the spring locators Gwyn has, as they catch the last tine on the spring as it drops out, thus preventing the dislocation going too far. I'd also say (if you can afford it), that cranked rear arms are getting towards a must-have with these shocks..

Give him a ring to discuss, really nice guy.

That's still not at full stretch. Am wondering if I might need some longer cones - if you are buying, I'd recommend the spring locators Gwyn has, as they catch the last tine on the spring as it drops out, thus preventing the dislocation going too far. I'd also say (if you can afford it), that cranked rear arms are getting towards a must-have with these shocks..

Or better still buy some X-springs and don't limit travel at all. I'm running standard LR springs on mine with Gwyn's mounts..

080822_0221Medium.jpg

080822_0218Medium.jpg

Lol.

I bought all that suspension stuff as my cones wouldn't fit (story involving comp-safari-style double-shock mounts, and a grinder).

Easy to see how things get carried away on the mods - instead of just grinding the metal off, I bought locators and new shocks. And still had to grind the metal off.

Ah well, all part of the fun :)

Steve

How does that travel compare to your front?

well enough while not going to a 3/2-Link. Which i don't currently want to do when still using this one so much on the road.

Limiting factor on the front is the radius arms now, and I am more than happy keeping with the stock arms given the minimal gain a radius arm change would bring.

• 1 year later...

hey guys,

I'm so sorry for not replying! I had exams and lost touch with the world! and sold the lr in the process as i needed the cash!! - hence not checking the forums..

I was totally serous about selling the suspension. it was so capable that i did not enjoy driving it anymore as it simply crawled over everything, with out diff lockers. setup was +4 shocks on -2 mounts. extended breathers and brake hoses, and SR trailing arms with orange poly bush.

The roll cage is a custom roll cage. I had it built for me. 3.8mm CDS and galvanized by hand! It may come up for sale in the future. - as i have first by back of my d90.

Winch sits on the sr extreme winch bumper.

better very.. very late than never.

nige