Billing v Newark

MrsBob

It is rather poor form to ask for improvements, get promised those improvements by a new company with a good track record, and then not go!

But worse still, to then go to the show of the old company who you complained about!!!

But is it the fault of the organiser or the Billing site itself....?

My view is that it is too crowded at Billing, too many campers shoehorned in. Each year there seems to be more static caravans and less places to camp. Are Live promotions going to resolve that...? Will they sell less tickets to keep numbers down or move some of the statics...?

And Security, it's a public right of way through the campsite. You can't stop light fingered Tom, Dick and Pikey wandering around admiring your stuff. The security they have on duty is next to useless. Can Live promotions resolve this issue...? 2009 seemed particularly bad for thefts.

Me, I'm going to Newark in the hope of a clean toilet and a smaller queue for the shower in the morning. If it's carp i'll know that when I complain about Billing in 2010 at least I will have tried something else.

Absolutely fair enough Colin, Can't argue with your comments,

We can only see what happens, I hope Live Promotions can do something,

Security can be dealt with in several ways,

1. Use Billing's contractors, (not good)

2. use your own, (better)

3. both! (better still but double money)

4. Talk nicely to the local Angels and pay them to "attend in the evening" Don't under estimate these guys, when they are on your side, you have very few problems! They are far from stupid!! (Top idea)

5. Go talk to the local Pikeys, some things make them listen very well. And probably cheaper than the idiot security firms. (High on the list)

Lara.

I'm not going to either.

Billing is S**thole, i've been twice and don't need to spend another weekend there.

I'm not interested in the Newark show, particulary in light of what I read on the Devon 4x4 forum, If i employed that monkey from LRM he'd be looking for a new job by now.

The only show i'm going to is LRO peterborough in September, and that is becasue its a pleasant weekends camping with my mates.

I hope the two July shows fail bigtime, as it'll serve 'em right for trying to out do each other....

as a past trader at newark i thought it only natural to add my two pennies worth,

i have traded at newark on many an ocasion, through shows, auto jumbles, horse events, and other obscure events,

the facilities are poor, the groung often water logged, all routes into the show are a right royal pain once the traffic starts to build up, i have used the site for over 15 years, i can not see where they are going to have the off road course without loosing parking/camping sites, this site is not known for beeing user friendly, at least with billing you know what your getting, and to be honest , it matters none who runs it, it is all down to wich traders are there and the public that go through the gates.

i live mid way between the two sites, so that is not a problem to me, what matters to me is the quality of trade and exhibitors at the shows, i'm not interested in traditional sweet stands, or some guy who uses his landrover for catching rats, i see enough of these types at the agricultural shows i attend, i'm interested in landrovers and what goes with our hobby, i do not want to win a giant teddy bear, i would rather win a tow strop,

i live in hope that the organisers of both events wake up and realise that money is becoming scairce and running two events on the same weekend is bad for both parties, billing is a constitution, and we all know that most folk will go there, it is what they are used to,

keep it fun folks,

BOW..

(SORRY FOR MY SPELLING IESPELL HAS PACKED UP :unsure: )

constitution

Institution - or perhaps Constipation? ;)

I wouldn't read too much in to the post on D44 about Nick from LRM - There were a lot op people there behaving less than totally well - He's a pretty decent chap underneath and I guess the stress and stuff just got too much for him on the night.

One constructive idea which has arisen (from Steve from Foundry4x4) - which I thought I'd run past you is.....

What about offering a free day pass for the other show with each weekend pass for the other?

It looks like we will end up with two shows that weekend - so that at least means that you are not penalized for choosing one over the other?

I think there is probably too much bitterness between the two camps at the moment to consider such a thing - but it will calm down soon and it would be a benefit to everyone - Organisers, Traders and most importantly Visitors.

Si

That might be okay for the casual traveller Simon but what about someone who plans to camp at one of the sites as part of his holiday? That person being Moi!

Would each party allow camping entrance at short notice? prolly not knowing my luck.

Not a bad idea in general though.

I can't believe they are still in conflict over this - surely they would have acknowledged that neither are going to cancel their show and just arrange a change of dates?

I'm sure this is putting a fair number of people off going to either.

It's Newark for us. As most if not all of our friends are going there. We'll probably only pick up some service items anyway to save on postage.

I've been to Billing 13 times and haven't seen any improvement over the times I've been there.

I hear what you're saying Ard and agree 100% mate.....but when I travel all that way to a Land Rover show I want to actually see some traders, vehicles etc and take in the whole LR show experiance.

If the pathetic traders attendance figures for Newark are anything to go by then I might as well go to my local super market for better Land Rover viewing.

I know that most of our particular group are commited to Newark now but I personally have no alleigence to any of the mags or the people who run them. All I want is a decent holiday with a bit of LR content thrown in.

All I want is a decent holiday with a bit of LR content thrown in.

Sounds like the LRW show at Eastnor would be up your street then - the best camping spot out of all the shows, sensible numbers attending, the weather always seems to be good and isn't full of thieving pikeys. I'm really miffed I won't be back from our trip in time this year to make it.

Never been to Newark, went to Billing once on a day ticket and you couldn't pay me enough to stay the night there, that place is naaarsty.

The Peterborough show was very good last year as well, so looking forward to that one. lets hope the 'Sodbury' autojumble they held is a bit more subscribed this time round.. :huh:

I don't usually comment but the way I see it is this.

Problem is if people keep booking Billing then they will keep putting improvements to their site off,

Punters need to decide for themselves to go or not as it doesn't matter how many traders book Billing or Newark it's down to the general public to decide on what venue they attend, if your not happy with Billing and its set up then don't go.

I do attend autojumbles @ Newark quite regularly and haven't found any problems with the site or facilities, I'm not going to Billing unless they sort themselves out, even if Newark is cancelled.

I hear what you're saying Ard and agree 100% mate.....but when I travel all that way to a Land Rover show I want to actually see some traders, vehicles etc and take in the whole LR show experiance.

If the pathetic traders attendance figures for Newark are anything to go by then I might as well go to my local super market for better Land Rover viewing.

I know that most of our particular group are commited to Newark now but I personally have no alleigence to any of the mags or the people who run them. All I want is a decent holiday with a bit of LR content thrown in.

Have you thought about this event streaky ??

Direct link added by Mog.

Look NO commercial interest.

I'm going for the last two weeks.

mike

What do you mean Streaky mate ? I have to drive a lot further than you ! :P

I agree that Land Rover stuff is nice to at least look at but maybe it's time to vote with our feet and hope for a better event next year.

The list of traders may not be long yet but hopefully there will be more of them going to Newark.

I haven't got any idea about the prices they have to pay for a stand but if LRM is smart they make them worth the traders while.

That advert looks great Mike. But I won't have my Land Rover with me so need to blag all the gear from my mates when I come over.

I only come back to the UK once a year so the LRM show at Newark better be worth the effort...if not then I'll know not to go next year.

I've only ever done Billing shows so have nothing else for comparison.....alot of my friends go there so it's always been fun. Now the are doing Newark I feel like I have to go or face camping alone :(

I see that LRO are still chasing those who have already committed to Newark

http://www.lro.com/news.php?sid=249&page=1

My main concern here is that even if no-one takes up their 'generous' offer that there will be sufficient doubt cast (LRM will no longer be able to confirm attendees) that the trade may decide now not to risk Newark :(

Is anyone on this forum seriously considering the offer?

I got the impression that around 70% of the trade that are going to one of them had already committed to Billing anyway.

It's a generous offer on their part although it'd be a lot more generous if they'd let you keep the Newark tickets so you could do both :)

I'm in the "probably not going to either" camp myself although I've missed not going to Billing for the last couple of years and catching up with people.

It could also be interpreted as LRO being paranoid at not selling enough tickets.

I think LRM have good grounds for a law suit against them now.....thats a stupid move by LRO IMHO. Neither of the two wants to back down now and is getting desperate for ticket sales.

Something has to be done before one of them sabotarges the other beyond repair.

LRe v LRM springs to mind 2 years ago, one will no doubt fold.

Billing is Billing no matter who runs the show. If LRM has any sense they would change the Newark date, that way those that wanted to go to Billing could do both?