translate my MOT

can anyone translate my MOT?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the old girl back from MOT to-day and to my great surprise she passed. Now, I'm not one for hanging around when they say "yes it passed" so when I got home and looked at all the test results I was a bit mystified.

Smoke test.

peak 1. 2.53 m-1

peak 2. 1.01 m-1

peak 3. 0.96 m-1

peak 4. 1.78 m-1

average 1.25

MOT result 1.25 PASS

Brake Test

service brake test

test speed 26 km/h

stopping dist. 5.0 m

front-back deceleration

peak 76%g

average 52%g

left-right deceleration

peak 4%g

vehicle pulls Right

MOT pass figures: service brake test, 50% secondary brake 25% parking brake 16%

I know it's a lot but could somebody translate this data for me and tell me if it is good or bad.

as it's a MOT PASS & states that in the above info, you have nothing to worry about,

the upper batch of figures relates to the Diesel engine emmisions smoke test, 4 runs carried out, mean of figures works out as a 1.25 average therefore a Pass

the lower batch to the brake tests.

There's a maximum permitted limit for the exhaust emissions (particle content with a diesel).

The tester follows on-screen instructions and floors the accelerator and releases it. The smoke meter measures the particle content. The limit on your engine is 3.00, so the four tests were all below that and the average is below the maximum, so it passed the test. If the first test had been, say 1.00, then it would have passed immediately - without the other three being necessary, known as 'fast pass'.

With the brake test there's a percentage out of 100 that's allowable both between front to back and left to right. Your brakes passed, but only just - I would have thought you would have got an advisory on them. I would suggest that the 76% means old fluid or some air in the system. Percentage variation left to right is a sticky caliper, and the handbrake wants adjusting.

So good in one way, but not good in another :)

Les.

When my 90 passed its MOT last year, I told the tester that it was permanent 4WD as he was going to put it on the roller.

He agreed and asked me how the brakes were, if they pulled up well and straight ? I was happy with the brakes and told

him so, but also said he was more than welcome to take it for a test drive. He didn't accept my offer but did accept my

answer that the brakes were fine. The 90 passed on the brakes :P but failed on a "crimped" rear brake pipe :blink: ,

and a bit of a patch weld to the bulkhead. On the return visit it passed :rolleyes: .

Am I correct in saying not to put it on the rollers ?? :unsure:

I know there is some sort of gauge they can use but it wasn't offered, would it be part of the VOSA approval to have

one of these at the garage ?? :ph34r:

When I first took my RRC (viscous transfer box) for an MOT, the tester said he could not use the rolling brake tester. Instead he produced what's known as a decelerometer.

Basically this is a heavy bit of kit that sits in the passenger footwell while he takes the car for a brief drive outside the workshop and brakes hard. I guess it measures the g-forces involved during braking, a very crude way of measuring the brake efficiency. Apparently there are a lot of modern 4x4s that require this method.

My Ninety on the other hand can go on the rollers because it has an open centre diff, and the speed of the rollers doesn't create excessive activity in the diff.

I have never heard of a tester decline to check the brakes in some way or another!

okey dokey, thanks . I do recall a couple of years ago, not long after I had my 90, the first time I took it for its MOT I'm sure the guy put it on the rollers without dis-engaging the transfer box !! :o Can't be sure though .But I have been off-road since and diff-lock works ok, and it was fine in the snow, does that mean everything's ok or should I be aware that a driveshaft or cv might be damaged ??

Afternoon!

When i took mine for the MOT test, he didn't put in on the rollers but instead tested the parking brake by using his hands either side of the drum!

As this point it is only fair not too name names, as i am more than happy with the methods used!!!

Obivoulsly he couldn't turn the drum so that was a pass.

With reference to the brakes he took the vehicle out for a drive and used a delerometer and cross ref'ed with the book on his return. This showed that they were fine and another pass!

With ref to the origanal post, i believe the legal limit is 7 so your results are well inside.

Neil

:huh:

When my 90 passed its MOT last year, I told the tester that it was permanent 4WD as he was going to put it on the roller.

He agreed and asked me how the brakes were, if they pulled up well and straight ? I was happy with the brakes and told

him so, but also said he was more than welcome to take it for a test drive. He didn't accept my offer but did accept my

answer that the brakes were fine. The 90 passed on the brakes :P but failed on a "crimped" rear brake pipe :blink: ,

and a bit of a patch weld to the bulkhead. On the return visit it passed :rolleyes: .

Am I correct in saying not to put it on the rollers ?? :unsure:

I know there is some sort of gauge they can use but it wasn't offered, would it be part of the VOSA approval to have

one of these at the garage ?? :ph34r:

When I took my 90 for MOT he put the transfer box neutral and put it on the rollers like a normal car, the only thing he did not check on the rollers was the hand brake, he just pulled it up to see how much resistance was on it?

He did tell me a story about a guy who tested a hand brake on an early 90, he said the pulled pulled it up at about 35mph an rolled the truck? Not sure how true this is???

I might want to find another garage to get the MOT done, if the tester just ASKED how good the brakes were?

What was his attitude to the rest of the test?

I know we all want an easy test but when it come to real saftey matters like brakes?

There are people out there who know there might be problem with the brakes and would say everthing is ok just so they will get a ticket without having to do any work or spend any money?

Not sure what VOSA would think?

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying anything is wrong with your truck or anything! Just thinking that the brakes would be one of the most important parts of the test and what else has this person let go?

my 2p

i 932 military rovers (equivalant of vosa mot) all day long using rollers for brake tests. i havent yet put the transfer box into neutral and it isnt warranted and the rollers can be used for the handbrake portion of the test. you'd only have problems if it was stuck in difflock in which case the tester wouldnt be able to carryout the test...failing mot. i regularly find myself in that situation with pinzgauers as the vacuum hold off for the diff lock is a carp idea and never works when you want it to, having the effect of driving the rear wheels when trying to test the fronts and visa-versa leaving some interesting rubber marks on the floor and some very interesting binding figures, as its actually reading the transmission resistance against the rollers.

as for the mot tester accepting someones word for the brakes being ok-the bloke needs shooting and should be reported to vosa! whilst people might quite amusing that thier vehicle got through in such a manor you've got to have some consideration for yourself and others on the road if your going to accept such test results.

hi

a permanant 4wd drive shouldnt go on the rollers like a normal car at all as when you spin up the front wheels half the centre diff is sat still and the other is spinning at full speed and the little pinion gears are running at twice that speed. very quick way to kill a centre diff, i think on defenders there is a notice on the fuse box cover that says this.

HTH

matt

my 2p

i 932 military rovers (equivalant of vosa mot) all day long using rollers for brake tests. i havent yet put the transfer box into neutral and it isnt warranted and the rollers can be used for the handbrake portion of the test. you'd only have problems if it was stuck in difflock in which case the tester wouldnt be able to carryout the test...failing mot. i regularly find myself in that situation with pinzgauers as the vacuum hold off for the diff lock is a carp idea and never works when you want it to, having the effect of driving the rear wheels when trying to test the fronts and visa-versa leaving some interesting rubber marks on the floor and some very interesting binding figures, as its actually reading the transmission resistance against the rollers.

as for the mot tester accepting someones word for the brakes being ok-the bloke needs shooting and should be reported to vosa! whilst people might quite amusing that thier vehicle got through in such a manor you've got to have some consideration for yourself and others on the road if your going to accept such test results.

Here Here.

Howard.

2x300TdiDef.

My Mot tester did fail my 90, due to corrosion on the bulkhead within the limit of the brake master cylinder, also a slight "squash" on one of the rear brake lines on the back axle. One headlight was also out of line. I am fortunate by having a tarmaced access road at the rear of our house where I can get my speed up and check the brakes to make sure the pull up ok and dont snatch to one side. If I was unsure about the brakes I wouldn't drive it, or at MOT time I would want the brakes checked. Unfortunately, some people are quite happy to get away with what they can, instead of being upfront. If I'm aware of a possible fail point, I will point it out, and get the testers view and opinion. The daft thing is, aren't the areas tested only applicable on the day of testing ? If the vehicle failed the next day, would there be any repercussions for the tester ? Losing his VOSA "licence" I suppose ! But then again if the police checked your car, you as the owner would be responsible surely, even if it was MOTd the day before ?

Anyway, difflock in neutral or not for the brake rollers ?

your 100% correct its only valid upto the point it leaves the test station. but at the same time the mot vosa standards for testing are so low anyway, and down to the testers opinion and interpretation of the vosa manual-which vosa themselves think are carp anyway. its considered the minimum condition of vehicle which should be allowed to be on the road. if you like to keep your vehicle running around on brake flexi for example which are 'x' years old and dont meet the criteria for failing the mot, but (heaven forbid) you go 20 miles down the road and it gives up and you loose your brake fluid and therefore brakes when you need to stop abit sharpish, whos fault is that??? the tester has done his job and followed the manual-he may well have given the owner an advisory on it-down to his own experience, but again its down to the owner to do something about that advisory. if you go down the road and the car fails on something which he's missed then you'd have somewhere to stand i believe.

its down to the consumer in a way to keep a check on the testers and highlight anything like the dodgy mot'er to vosa so they are aware of it and can go check them out.

hi

a permanant 4wd drive shouldnt go on the rollers like a normal car at all as when you spin up the front wheels half the centre diff is sat still and the other is spinning at full speed and the little pinion gears are running at twice that speed. very quick way to kill a centre diff, i think on defenders there is a notice on the fuse box cover that says this.

HTH

matt

The notice very clearly states that the vehicle (Defender) CAN be used on a single axle roller rig at speeds not above 5kph.

I think thats fine for an 'MOT' brake tester.

Best regards.

Howard.

2x300TdiDef.