Side Protections Sills

I want to fit some side protection sills (rock sliders) to my 2007 Defender 110 and have been looking at various after market products available in the UK.

However I am a little confused as to whether it is safe to jack the vehicle using these sills. Some manufacturers provide jacking holes in the sills whilst others specifically advise against it. So who is right, I assume it is dependent on the strength of the mounting points?

My sliders were made by Southdown and use round tube and although I can use a high-lift there is nothing to stop the jack from sliding. If I were to buy some again then they would have lifting holes. The rectangular tube sliders replace the stupid fragile aluminium LR sills which is good. However, my Southdown sills stick out from the body work (still using the LR ali sills) and I can spin the nas around a tree against the slider without damaging the body work. The rectangular sliders are closer to the body work and not so good for tree sliding (using the side face), but just as good for rock sliding (using the bottom face).

You pays yer money and takes yer choice ......................... ;)

I have an 08 defender 110 with rock/ tree sliders that have grooves in the bottom to jack up with. however since its been lifted and bigger tyres fitted in had to by a high lift jack (i didnt by the adaptor to make it fit in the landrover jacking points). as long as the wheel is chocked, diff lock in and hand brake on it pretty safe, i just stick the jack under any part of the slider and jack away. no bother.

Dont buy them from scorpian unless youve got an angle grinder and a drill! oh and a LOT of patients :huh:

I have an 08 defender 110 with rock/ tree sliders that have grooves in the bottom to jack up with. however since its been lifted and bigger tyres fitted in had to by a high lift jack (i didnt by the adaptor to make it fit in the landrover jacking points). as long as the wheel is chocked, diff lock in and hand brake on it pretty safe, i just stick the jack under any part of the slider and jack away. no bother.

Dont buy them from scorpian unless youve got an angle grinder and a drill! oh and a LOT of patients :huh:

Not sure you realised you just hospitalised Scrapiron!

Patients are usually found on ward 9, patience is needed for complicated work :lol:

Thanks guys. Those of you that do jack using the sills, have you found any problem with the side riggers( to which I assume the sills are bolted) taking all the weight of the vehicle?

I am not using the vehicle for competition work but I am fitting it out for an expedition and I still concerned that the extra weight will be too much. I like the look of the Mantech ones but they say not to jack on them.

The one problem I had with my sill protectors is that they can move slightly where theybolt to the bulkhead bracet. This slightly bent the lower portion of the front wing. Whether it's because I have not done the bolts up tight enough or not I do not know. But it's a 1988 90 so I am not really fussed.

Ivan

Hi, I made some from 80 x 80 stainless box, 2 brackets at front using the body mounting bolt, one into the end of the outrigger, the box is up tight to underside of outrigger and a tube with plate going into the chassis. Will take some pictures but just found out that batteries need charging first. Will add later

Thanks guys. Those of you that do jack using the sills, have you found any problem with the side riggers( to which I assume the sills are bolted) taking all the weight of the vehicle?

I am not using the vehicle for competition work but I am fitting it out for an expedition and I still concerned that the extra weight will be too much. I like the look of the Mantech ones but they say not to jack on them.

Defender has better fittings for tree sliders than RR or Disco.

I don't lift on the sliders often, most times in the factory with the fork lift, pick one side up of the nas to do brakes / change rims etc. Fork lift doesn't complain so I guess the fixings for the sliders are good :lol:

Want to attach some pictures but not sure of easiest way, any suggestions?

use the FULL EDIT facility when you edit a reply or use the attachments facility below the text box, both ways will let you upload a photo or file from your own PC or from a website such as photobucket, also read the 'new members' info pinned at the top of the Defender forum, topics list, more info in there about adding photo's.