Series 3 drive train problems again!

reggie

Hi all, I'm back on the series forum again.

Well I don't even own one yet but always trying to figure out what wrong with my friends for him.

Its just had the rear half shaft done then I borrowed it the other day & did a couple of miles up the lane & I had some serious problem getting it into gear.

I thought it was just me at first as I have trouble going from 4th to 3rd when I haven't drove it for a while, I got it into gear then carried on a mile or so, even pulled over to check if I could get it into gear properly which I could. Then it happened again shortly after, couldn't get it into 3rd going up a hill well in fact I couldn't get it into any gear at all at that point & had to roll back down the road to a safe spot. I then tried any gear & realised that the clutch pedal felt a bit to light as if it wasn't doing anything, which it wasn't. Couldn't get it into any gear the most it would do was to nearly grind into reverse.

I suspect the clutch is gone, just seems a little strange that it has just came out of the garage after losing all gears a couple of weeks ago. They have fitted a second hand rear shaft & also removed the free wheeling hubs, its done a few miles & broke down again.

My friend has now had enough of it & wants to give it to me or let the garage sell it for what they can get, he's 70 now & I think he has lost his patience with the old Landy once & for all :o

Sounds like clutch slave/master issues to me TBH, rather than a clutch failure.

Try clamping the slave cylinder hose and pushing the pedal, if it goes solid then it's the slave, if not it's the master, or the master *and* the slave.

Sounds like clutch slave/master issues to me TBH, rather than a clutch failure.

Try clamping the slave cylinder hose and pushing the pedal, if it goes solid then it's the slave, if not it's the master, or the master *and* the slave.

Well its at the garage at the moment on the request of my friend but if he's really serious about getting rid then I'll have it back here soon enough & I'll be checking that asap. Where abouts is the slave cylinder hose? I really don't have a clue about these series vehicles yet as I'm only used to my Rangie.

More than likley loss of clutch fluid caused by faulty seals. To do the job properly replace both with genuine new parts.

There is only one hose in the clutch circuit, follow the pipe down from the master cyclinder and you'll find the hose between the end of the steel pipe and the block.