Land rover product recalls/service bulletins

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

Does anyone know where to find a current list of bulletins? what i'm mostly concerned with is the defender Td5 dual mass flywheel. mine seems to act like i have oil on the flywheel (its a new clutch, so shouldn't be, along with a new slave cylinder, and i've tried plenty of hill starts to try and burn any off).. it judders a lot in 1st and 2nd.

I've read recently that motor manufacturers have to give a 6 year warranty on non wear items (like flywheels as opposed to the friction plate). how true this is, i don't know, but as my warranty ran out a year or 2 ago then it would be useful! B)

Does anyone know where to find a current list of bulletins? what i'm mostly concerned with is the defender Td5 dual mass flywheel. mine seems to act like i have oil on the flywheel (its a new clutch, so shouldn't be, along with a new slave cylinder, and i've tried plenty of hill starts to try and burn any off).. it judders a lot in 1st and 2nd.

Must be something wrong with dual mass flywheels, my Golf Mk5 TDI has a recall on its dual mass flywheel too!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Nev

Nothing I am aware of besides the original recall on all Td5 flywheels up to a certain age. Must be driver abuse :P

6 year "warranty" is wrong I think, UK law has something or other about a manufacturer's limit of liability being 6 years for goods being "fit for purpose" or something - can't remember the exact detail/wording but I don't think it's the same as a warranty.

Guest diesel_jim
Nothing I am aware of besides the original recall on all Td5 flywheels up to a certain age. Must be driver abuse :P

definately!!! :D:D:D

6 year "warranty" is wrong I think, UK law has something or other about a manufacturer's limit of liability being 6 years for goods being "fit for purpose" or something - can't remember the exact detail/wording but I don't think it's the same as a warranty.

pants! :angry:

Just dug it out recall code is A211, and i had it changed in Jul 00 on a '99 def. effects disco and def range. no VINs given. i only have the letter to take it in to be checked not the tech bulletin they use in the Wksp, i will work on getting a copy of this.

Guest diesel_jim
Just dug it out recall code is A211, and i had it changed in Jul 00 on a '99 def. effects disco and def range. no VINs given. i only have the letter to take it in to be checked not the tech bulletin they use in the Wksp, i will work on getting a copy of this.

That's great. If you can get the range of the defender VIN numbers that would be greater!

thanks a million! :D

Recall Notice A/D211 dated 05/05/00

MODEL/DERIVATIVE AFFECTED RANGE:

DEFENDER Td5 Manual gearbox derivatives XA145775 to YA181042

DEFENDER Td5 CKD Manual gearbox derivatives XF829247 to XF833265

DISCOVERY Series II Manual gearbox derivatives XA200000 to YA244647 XA900000 to XA907209

DISCOVERY Series II CKD Manual gearbox derivatives XA920000 to XJ920147

Engine number range

10P00001a to 10P38890A

Build date range September 1998 to June 1999

PROBLEM:

DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL ΠMATERIAL SPECIFICATION

CAUSE:

High energy inputs into the clutch and flywheel system may lead to structural failure of the flywheel assembly. The energy inputs may cause the flywheel to exhibit surface cracks, which under certain conditions could propagate, resulting in

loss of drive due to the clutch slipping. In extreme conditions the flywheel could fragment resulting in extensive damage to the clutch bell housing.

ACTION:

To protect the long term integrity of the flywheel assembly Land Rover are implementing recall action on all Discovery and Defender Td5 manual models within the affected VIN range.

All vehicles within the affected VIN range shown above will require the flywheel assembly to be replaced. Where necessary, after visual inspection, replacement of associated clutch parts may be required if consequential wear is noted.

All vehicles currently held in stock, demonstrators and showroom vehicles must have the flywheel replaced prior to the vehicle being despatched to a customer.

PROCEDURE

DURING THE FLYWHEEL REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE, ASSOCIATED CLUTCH COMPONENTS MUST BE INSPECTED TO

DETERMINE IF EXCESSIVE WEAR EXISTS. THE WORKSHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS DESCRIBE THE WEAR CHARCATERISTICS THAT EACH OF THE COMPONENTS SHOULD BE EXAMINED FOR, AS SOME OF THESE COMPONENTS MAY NOT REQUIRE REPLACEMENT.

It must be noted that zero mileage vehicles ie showroom/stock and CKD vehicles will only require the flywheel and fixings to be replaced.

THE FOLLOWING CARE POINTS MUST BE OBSERVED IN

CONJUNCTION WITH THE WORKSHOP MANUAL REPAIR PROCEDURE.

•If the flywheel face exhibits any surface cracks the clutch assembly must be replaced.

•Flywheel bolts MUST be tightened to 40Nm (+) 90 degrees.

•Remove the existing grease from the release bearing guide tube and replace with a THIN coating of Molibdium Disulphide grease.

•Clean the fulcrum arm and nylon insert within the clutch release mechanism, remove any old grease and inspect for wear as described in the workshop manual, additionally if the fulcrum insert is loose or deformed in any way the fulcrum assembly MUST be replaced. If the original components are being replaced or renewed apply a small amount of Molibdium Disulphide grease to both components prior to re-asembly.

•If a new clutch plate is being fitted ensure that the plate is free to travel along the constant pinion spline prior to fitment.

•Clutch cover fixings MUST be tightened to 22 to 28 Nm.

•Check the crankshaft spigot for scoring and uneven wear characteristics, if necessary replace the spigot bearing.

•Road test the vehicle and check for clutch functionality.

•Apply a white paint mark identification to the two bonnet lock fixings.

(You know the 'pin' on the bonnet that goes into a circular catch plate? Well it's the bolts holding the circular catch plate that should have the white paint).

•Endorse the service record book.

PARTS INFORMATION:

PSD103470K Flywheel 1 off

ERR6581 Flywheel bolts 8 off

FTC4630K Clutch cover 1 off

FTC4631K Clutch driven plate 1 off

NH108041L Clutch cover fixings 6 off

576137 Release arm 1 off

571161 Insert release arm 1 off

FTC5200K Clutch release bearing 1 off

8566L Crankshaft spigot 1 off

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Normal warranty policies and procedures apply, it should be noted that this particular campaign will be subject to warranty audit.

The ‚K™ suffix parts CANNOT be used to repair or replace parts on a vehicle outside of the campaign VIN range, the usage of these parts will be rigorously monitored against VIN and total volume of cars repaired.

Note that no mention is made of clutch judder being an identifying feature, although clutch slip 'might' fall within the 'high input' parameter mentioned.

Cheers.

Guest diesel_jim
High energy inputs into the clutch and flywheel system

LOL!!! revving it to 3000rpm then dumping the clutch then? :D:D:lol:

Thanks for the info, thats brilliant. just gotta check my VIN number now!