Paddocks dodgy parts

daveturnbull

Before you all say "We told you so", I did try and buy elsewhere, from a strictly Bearmach supplier but they were out of stock.

I've just had fitted a new brand spangly new water pump to my hybrid (200 disco engine) which was bought from paddocks, and the bloody thing leaks even more than the one with the knackered bearing it was replacing. It's a constant drip out of the little spy hole on the bottom of the pump when the engine is running.

I'm going to ring Paddocks first thing tomorrow to explain and suggest nicely that they send me a replacement FOC by next day carrier as I really need the car for the weekend.

So what do you reckon my chances are?

Even 24 hours would have been a plus! A genuine one only being 576% more expensive (Yes, I did work that out). Oh joy.

Willing to try a second one tho as it's not too much agro to change and Stunning Services have had plenty of other water pumps from them, none of which have leaked.

for parts like this i would only ever fit genuine and i would never , ever buy parts from crappocks especially britpart.

genuine will last years and years and years ,buy a craddocks blue box supprise and it will last only a small fraction of this time.

a few mins by the sounds of your last purchase.

I've fitted a few Bearmach pumps and they are still fine. Don't know who makes them though.

Paddocks are a major supplier of Britpart goods, so perhaps that's the problem.

Les.

I agree. I'm rapidly losing faith in paddocks. Partly to their lack of enthusiasm when ever you speak to them, but mainly because they sell carp. I do spend a fair bit of dosh there each month on behalf of Stunning Services, so maybe that will work in my favour.

Les, can you recommend a reasonably priced mail order supplier that responds fairly quickly, has good stock levels, and refuses point blank to sell anything made by it-fits-where-it-touches-if-you're-lucky-part?

A supplier here is selling a pump made in Spain that looked nice, with a cast impeller that looks better than the OE pressed metal one.

Anyone know what it could be or anything about them ?

I can't remember the name, it was being fitted in a local garage when I saw it.

I get all my parts from the Land Rover Orphanage in Chippenham, which is not much good to you I suppose, but they do a hell of a lot of mail order stuff.

Bearmach do have various outlets, but rather strangely are not named after the company. They will deliver direct if the order is big enough. It might be worth contacting them directly and see where your local outlet is. The only stipulation I have with Bearmach is no 'white box' parts. Even their genuine parts are quite reasonablt priced.

Les.

What's all this talk about loosing faith in Paddocks? Paddocks is not the problem, they have good service, fast delivery and good prices.

The problem is with the parts, paddocks just sends what you order. If you don't order an original part it's not their fault.

btw...I have a britpart waterpump on my 300TDi, no problems yet after 40000 km's and one year...

Does anybody have experience with Paddock's "swivel kits"? I've just purchased two of them to overhaul an axle I've just bought. The axle is in pretty good nick (I dare say excellent) but hasn't been used for 7 years so I just thought that I'd take it apart, regrease the bearings, clean everything up and put it back together. Should I trust the seals that Paddock sent or should I bin them?

Does anybody have experience with Paddock's "swivel kits"? I've just purchased two of them to overhaul an axle I've just bought. The axle is in pretty good nick (I dare say excellent) but hasn't been used for 7 years so I just thought that I'd take it apart, regrease the bearings, clean everything up and put it back together. Should I trust the seals that Paddock sent or should I bin them?

Bin them, and the bearings. i rebuilt mine with a Britpart kit last summer, but binned the seals and used OEM.. wish I'd binned the bearings and used better ones as they're knackered and need a rebuild..

As for the Britpart waterpump, I had one on my old 300Tdi that lasted 11 days...

Britpart have a hard-earned and well deserved reputation for carp quality....

Just ask yourself how much is your time worth? if its worth more than replacing a waterpump after 11 days then buy something better. I did.

Well I just spoke to paddocks. It's fair to say their service has improved since I last had cause to ring them up.

They have agreed to send me another water pump which I should get on Friday. For some reason they want the leaky one back so FedEx are collecting it on Monday.

Fingers crossed this next one doesn't leak, or they'll be having that one back too.

for certain things like the LIFE OF YOUR ENGINE, or safety critical parts like brakes - i would never use ****part.

There are just far too many horror stories of such low kerwality parts that it is almost funny that they have the balls to provide retailers with the stock!

Knackered waterpumps on tdis are one of the main causes of engine failure. It just isnt worth the hassle of fitting one and worrying about if the engine is about to overheat. Oh and the temp gauge isnt really sensitive enough and the sender is in a stupid place. If all the coolant leaks out due to a knackered water pump, you wont know about it until its too late.

Fit a genuine water pump and be happy knowing it'll last a few years.

Totally agree about Britpart.I learned my lesson fast! water pump(leaked), fuel tank made of paper and didn't fit, tubular out riggers were a disgrace but to fair the suppliers gave me a full refund and to honest by the tone of their voice I don't think it was the first time that day!

I think the rule of thumb is make it or have someone do it for you if poss or buy genuine such as alternator water pump timing etc

When I was "in the trade" we stopped selling Britpart water pumps, amongst other things as they were just too unreliable. Their sales rep assured us that their quality had improved but after trying them again we just gave up... they were rubbish! :rtfm:

Very rarely had problems with Allmakes stuff. If you order Allmakes stuff you can sometimes request a "G" spec item. This is effectively an OE part, but not in an LR box and without the LR price tag :)

Dan :)