just a quicky

Badger90

im going to re-place my power steering fluid with engine oil. so it doesnt get hot a so quick and hopfully it might take some play out of the box..

whats the best way to get the old fluid out? i though taking the oil feed pipe off and running the engine to pump it out but would it damage the pump? iv seen a few people do this to there truck.. what does every one els think?

cheers sam

im going to re-place my power steering fluid with engine oil. so it doesnt get hot a so quick and hopfully it might take some play out of the box..

whats the best way to get the old fluid out? i though taking the oil feed pipe off and running the engine to pump it out but would it damage the pump? iv seen a few people do this to there truck.. what does every one els think?

cheers sam

Using engine oil is just plain stupid, apart from destroying the pump you'll more than likely blow out the seals in the box, possibly leading to complete failure of the power steering.

You can drain the system without running the engine. Disconnect the low pressure feed to the box and allow it to self drain, re-attach the pipe and disconnect the high pressure feed to the box, then turn the steering lock-to-lock a few times and the remains will squirt out.

I don't know if engine oil would cause any damage - I guess it depends on the grade of oil you use/whether the seals, etc, can take it.

Something like 5/30 is a very thin oil, so it might work - at least in the short term.

Not as seemingly daft as some things - water or washing-up liquid used instead of brake fluid, for example.

Les.

i have took all this in to concideration, as i said 2 people i know with older trucks then mine have done this and it held up! (3years scots had engine oil in his and not a problem even with 15/40) i have done it today use 10/30 and it has made a amazing differnce.. apart from the drop arm ball joint worn alot of the play has gone. and nothing feels differnt.

well we shall see..

cheers sam

Is this for road or private property use? With safety critical bits like steering and brakes I'd rather stay with the manufacturers recommendations. If you have a prang and end up killing someone they will go over your vehicle with a fine tooth comb, if you have filled your steering system with engine oil, porridge, carrot juice or anything other than what the manufacturer recommends you are fairly likely to be hung out to dry ...and rightly so in my books.

If your steering box is knackered do us all a favour and fit a recon one.

All I can say is more fool you.

God forbid you now have an accident.

Whilst we are on the subject have you had the crash damage repaired?

i think i might be putting it back to atf and try tighening the screw right up if that does not work then ill have find somthing inbetween 10/30 for the time being untill i have the funds to get another box.

yeah well sort of.. defently needs a new dumbiron. it bend tryed smacking it back and it just crippled. craps orded another dumbiron and going to fit it next week i hope.

at least it got its face back, bumper and grill and i can still feed the cattle with out worrying about cops pinning my arse for having no frontle protection.

but still need a better bumper, rad sarround and a-bar..