Laning, Bath and North Somerset, Sunday 26th Feb

Turbocharger

TroddenMasses and I are going laning this Sunday around Bath, anyone fancy joining us? Regarding the level of difficulty, we've both got cages and winches but don't plan to use them, and I'm going (to get stuck) on TracEdges. Don't bring a brand-new Rangie and you'll get on just fine :D

Would love to but just don't have the time at teh moment- search for John Cowman on here, he's a mate of mine hwo lives in bath, usually up for a laugh, and seems to know quite a few lanes that way.

just a thought

You weren't in Taunton last night were you? saw a truck just like yours on the main road out to the motorway. Was going to beep but wasn't sure it was you!

TroddenMasses and I are going laning this Sunday around Bath, anyone fancy joining us? Regarding the level of difficulty, we've both got cages and winches but don't plan to use them, and I'm going (to get stuck) on TracEdges. Don't bring a brand-new Rangie and you'll get on just fine :D

John,

Sound interesting. Providing i get over my jet lag by Sun morning i would like to join you. When and where you departing from? Is it the normal, 'bring a packed lunch' type day or are we going to the pub?

I will also see if i can get OiliT to join us.

Nigel

We were planning to find a nice spot and eat a packed lunch. We will be picking my brother in law up by the train station (He is one of these odd people who actually chooses to use public transport). Maybe we could meet up there. I will find out what time he will be arriving, and plan it around that. Hope to see you there.

Nah, can't do next weekend, I'm at 7S with the AWDC.

Nigel - sounds good - I reckon around 10-10.30 at Bath railway station, some slightly trickier stuff than last time on the Fosse. Packed lunches, maps, my CB's died though but we shouldn't go too far from mobile reception, we're not heading towards Tony Cordell...

Nah, can't do next weekend, I'm at 7S with the AWDC.

Nigel - sounds good - I reckon around 10-10.30 at Bath railway station, some slightly trickier stuff than last time on the Fosse. Packed lunches, maps, my CB's died though but we shouldn't go too far from mobile reception, we're not heading towards Tony Cordell...

John,

Can you let me know the approx locations we will go as far as North, South, Est and West, so i can load up the right mem map files.

Can you also PM me your mobile number.

Nigel

The plan is to meet up by the Methodist church in Keynsham, Between Bristol and Bath at 10:30. Apparently, John has planned quite a few lanes all around the Bath area, which should keep us busy all day. We start in Keynsham, and end in Bath - that should give you an idea of the area that we will be covering.

Some snaps from the day - a decent outing with 40 miles of driving, from Keynsham to Bath. We were pretty much done by 3.30 so explored a lane which certainly isn't driveable since it's about 2ft wide for 100yds in the middle.

26022006399.jpg

Nigel explores the water...

26022006403.jpg

...as does Keir.

26022006407.jpg

A pretty lane near Stanton Prior. This one got narrower shortly afterwards!

26022006408.jpg

A nasty lean on a steep climb, although the photo never does justice to the terrain

26022006413.jpg

A lane in pretty bad condition, just below a great dip that collects the water.

26022006439.jpg

Me emerging over the crest in the above shot

26022006415.jpg

Nigel makes a splash in a ford just before heading home

26022006416.jpg

A particularly narrow piece alongside a fallen tree

26022006424.jpg

Keir and I under the Somerset and Dorset railway trackbed

Hey

Sorry I missed the trip, had to go to Exeter for the day. It looked like fun, i recognise most of the lanes there and i think i found the one that was really ripped up today. Since I was by myself I didnt do that first bit but cut around and joined the lane further up. Want to go back with a rescue truck to try it though! Do you recon a 90 that has not been raised (yet) will get over that hump?assuming its the lane i think it is!

26022006439.jpg

Also where is that lane under the tunnel?do you have a grid reference for it?Definitly keen to come when you next go and might have a couple more trucks that would like to come play!

Pugwash the old man john cowman doesnt like computers and so can't actually find any forums! I use them and tell him what I find!

Andy

Joining the lane at Home Covert by cutting through the woods isn't legal, best stick to the official track - the climb up the hill is pretty cut up but passable in a standard vehicle I'd say. It might not look standard afterwards, mind...

The bridge is here 500m east of Twinhoe, but the lane isn't a through-route since it's only passable for vehicles under 1m wide further down.

No I didnt think it was legal so was a bit cheeky to pop along. My excuses are I was by myself, the lane looked firm based and I was sure it would meet the byway in about 100 yards and I didnt want to cut the lane up at the bottom anymore than it already was....that and I didnt want to get stuck on what was only meant to be a quick look at the lane to see what it was like! Thats far to embarrasing but has happened before. I am convinced its the same lane. Although I couldnt find anything at the second lane you suggested. It was just a tarmac road, there was a byway sign over a small bridge but it didnt seem to go anyway?

Is the track under the bridge worth a look?

Andy

I will have a look at the lane over the bridge if there is something interesting there. I did come across another byway up that way that had a steep descent which was quite narrow and then crossed a small stream and was followed by a muddy hill.

Was just looking about on your websites and saw mention that you go trailling, are you part of any of the local groups that do RTVs?

Andy

I will have a look at the lane over the bridge if there is something interesting there. I did come across another byway up that way that had a steep descent which was quite narrow and then crossed a small stream and was followed by a muddy hill.

Was just looking about on your websites and saw mention that you go trailling, are you part of any of the local groups that do RTVs?

Andy

The ford lane is probably at Baggeridge Farm, climb through a wood, into an open field and across a farmyard.

I used to trial heavily with Buxton and District LRC and I've been a couple of times with Somerset and Wilts LRC (an ARC club) and Somerset 4x4 club - Hedley on here is a member of the latter. Both were pretty good to be honest although I've never really got on with the ARC's strict trialling rules on what you can and can't do to your LR.

I know some people in the Somerset & Wiltshire Land Rover Club who do RTV and have been along recently to watch at west harptree and when I read that you do it I remembered seeing this

Greenlaneing086.jpg

Which bears a passing resemblance to yours but i had forgotton the cage was silver not yellow. I am going to enter when the consultants give me the all the clear and see how I get on.

Andy

A nasty lean on a steep climb, although the photo never does justice to the terrain.

That looks like the greenlane between Wilmington & Inglesbatch. Last month, I had a spare afternoon so I took the dogs for a leg stretch along there but decided against driving it solo. Not really Freelander friendly!