Sound Proofing a 90 Bulkhead

gruntus

Hi Gents,

My bulkhead is completely stripped and I will be buying a Wright Off Road sound proofing kit for the interior regardless of the outcome...

So seeing as its all clean and completely stripped is it worth soundproofing the engine bay side of the bulkhead?

I contacted Noise Killer and they recommend a lead sandwich for the engine bay which comes in at £120.......

Does anyone have any experience of the above?

A few questions

a) Is it definitley worth the money and worth while doing?

B) what alternatives are there?

Cheers

G :)

No doubt it will do a good job of stopping sound transmitted through the bulkhead, but personally I wouldn't spend that kind of dough on it as there's so much noise coming from everywhere else!

Wish I'd done a bit more to mine while it was out though - have a look at some of the ICE forums to see what they use to stop noise, there are cheaper things out there. I've had great success with lead flashing tape - I wouldn't put it somewhere visible like in the engine bay, but no reason it couldn't line the cab side of the bulkhead? Cheap as chips too.

B) what alternatives are there?

Put the bulkhead in the back of a Range Rover? ;)

I bought a complete soundproofing kit for a previous vehicle - and was very unimpressed with it! A lot of money for not a lot. Achieved better with lead flashing tape (to stop panels vibrating) and waterproof carpet underlay (on the bulkhead). Much cheaper.

Si

similar disappointment with commercially available "waterproof" kits.

I found that the cut floor mats did indeed have waterproof top and bottom layers but the exposed honeycomb at the sides sooked up water like you would not believe! :o I honestly must have wrung half a pint out of the drivers floor mat....

similar disappointment with commercially available "waterproof" kits.

I found that the cut floor mats did indeed have waterproof top and bottom layers but the exposed honeycomb at the sides sooked up water like you would not believe! :o I honestly must have wrung half a pint out of the drivers floor mat....

i had those mats as well. they were as waterproof as a foam sponge. becasue that was what was suspended between the two sheets of heavy vinyl. unfortunately the sheets of vinyl were incredible generators of condensation. so even when i had remarkably managed to prevent any water from entering the vehicle, they were sodden and contained about half a litre of condensated water. two weeks on the radiator in the house was enough to dry them off and about 2 days was enough for them to fill up with water again. as a percentage of the kit they probably cost me about £30 for the pair and were a complete waste of money.