Norway

draper40

Hey,

I'm thinking about doing a small (2 week ish) expedition sometime and there was a recent article in LRO with the top 10 detinations and norway looked quite attractive and the sort of wilderness place i would like to go.

Has anyone been or got any info as it seems scarce online.

Thanks

Pete

I've been to southern Norway many times racing and it is a fine place and the people are so nice but to find wilderness type place you would have to go much more north. A great way to go would be Newcastle to Stravanger which is halfway up the coast then head north. i've never been that far up but they say it's stunning.

You could go on the forum - pirate 4x4.no - and ask - there's an english section or you can google translate it.

or there's a landrover norweigian forum were many guy's from the uk talk about trips.

Maybe if you want real wilderness the interior of Iceland maybe better for you - stunning place

I have been trekking in Norway and it's an amazing place, the people are very friendly and we found it very hard to even attempt to speak any norweigen as everyone we met realised we were English and started to speak english to us, but its nice to make an effort, so language should be a problem.

We were near bergen in one of the national parks, i'm not sure about vehicle access in these areas but the hiking you can roam and wild camp where you like (as long as it isn't in someones back garden) and the hiking trails are easy to follow. We went in June i think but this was mid way between the seasons, snow hadn't quite melted enough on the summer trails so it made it hard work and the winter trails had melted to much to risk walking over the frozen lakes etc.

When my mate organised this trip for us he used the norweigen tourist board and said how helpful were with information and guidence to the national parks.

Sorry it's not much help but it is definately a place i would like to go back to, a maybe in a land rover next time.

Jon

Problem now is there is no ferry between the UK and Norway anymore. You'll

have to either drive round or catch the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg (Denmark)

and then catch a ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand.

Don't underestimate the size of Norway, and there aren't any good motorways

in the country that allow you to travel long distances quickly.

Any specific advice, just ask.

Have had a couple of very enjoyable trips to Norway.

If you typically cover 50 miles per hour in the UK on A roads expect about 50kph in Norway. The coastal road is wonderful and you have many ferry crossings to either short cut across fiords. Fantastic scenery

Other routes to Norway includes Copenhagen and then the bridge/tunnel into Sweden.

Other routes into Norway includes the Gdansk to Stockholm ferry. Tallink to Stockholm or Tallink to Helsinki and then island hop across the Arland islands to Sweden. Highly recommended

Unfortunately none of these routes are really compatible with just a 2 week trip due to the time getting there.

Norway is not particularly cheap especially the booze. Take plenty of food with you, avoid hotels and restraunts then you can have a good enjoyable holiday at a reasonable cost.

Highly recommended destinations

Regards

Brendan

Hey,

I'm thinking about doing a small (2 week ish) expedition sometime and there was a recent article in LRO with the top 10 detinations and norway looked quite attractive and the sort of wilderness place i would like to go.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

I have related the information to the other forum lrforum.com and hope you get lots of people coming in to give you more advice! :huh:

Dan

We did that Hirtshals to Kristiansand last July when we went to Eurotrial - and i have to say the boat was huge and i have never seen so many people on a boat (thousands) there was so many people on this boat there was no seats left and people where sitting in the hallways on the floors ,outside , everywhere :blink: for like a 5 hrs journey.

And this cost us £800 return with the trailer - rip off and not a good holiday boat - bring back DFDS from Newcastle i say.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

Thanks

Pete

Norway is a wonderfull vacation destination. This summer we spent a couple of weeks driving up there.

However be aware that your car will have to stay on the road. While many mountain roads takes you an hours drive away from the nearest settlement, it will still be a very well maintained public gravel road. Offroading as such is prohibited.

Walking or riding a bicycle on the trails in the national parks and other wilderness is however perfectly legal and encouraged. There are even signposted trekking routes in all the popular areas. There are huts with beds and stove etc. out along the trekking routes that you can book in advance if you fancy a several day trek in the wilderness without carrying too much equipment on your back.

Ohh an do plan on spending a week driving around the fjords. They are the most magnificient place on Earth.

Have a look at the Norway Land Rover Club

Campsites in Norway are reasonably priced, much the same as here, but remember 'wild' camping is allowed as well. We found some really nice places to make overnight camp which cost us nothing, and the facilities at garages are much better than here, some have showers as well as toilet facilities. The food is much the same as here in the shops too, but it's very expensive to eat out. There are regulated shops for buying alcohol which is very expensive, so as suggested previously it's best to take your own with you.

We were fortunate as we had friends in Bergen and Oslo to show us around and they were great hosts. The Norwegian people are fantastic, their humour is great :rofl:

My advice is give it a go, you won't regret it, but make sure you take some warm clothes with you :D

• 3 weeks later...

100% second Gilly - Norway is the best kept secret in Europe! (well just outside the EU)

I worked there for 5 years, people great, countryside great, not cheap but not much more expensive that the UK unless you drink... don't be tempted to bring in more than a litre.

The Norwegians are VERY law abiding, make sure you stick to the speed limits, don't even think about drinking and driving this will see you put away for 3 months (min)

I planned to move there in 2007 but for personal reasons, me and the family did not make the move.

In a nutshell Norway is like the UK 30 years ago but with technology and a government who know what they are doing and don't waste our tax revenues!

We are going over to Oslo for Christmas 2009, can't wait.. try it - you will be suprised just how beautiful it is.

Not sure if you are a fan of top gear, but JC did the chunnel to france, then belgium, germany, denmark, sweden to norway... I'm going to do that one day!!

In a nutshell Norway is like the UK 30 years ago but with technology and a government who know what they are doing and don't waste our tax revenues!

Be glad they don´t waste your tax revenues, they do a good job of wasting our own.

<_<