One man and his scourer

Hi,

Stripped my rear prop again today :blink: down to the needle bearings and cleaned and re-greased everything the only thing is I can’t seem to get the plastic dust collar to snap back over the female section of prop. Come to think if the collar fits over the rubber grease seal and that moves as the prop extends how on earth does the collar stay in place?

Also does anyone know if when fitting a bulkhead repair panel do you cut back to the size of the repair panel or just weld it over the top (unlikely I know but just in case)

And finally I have early defender lift up recessed lock mechanisms on my from doors but cant seem to find anywhere that sells three keyed alike replacement barrels I seem to get the usual pause and Gallic shrug or worse “just how old is this vehicle”.

The interior handle is like the ones they used on the old Morris marina a black flap that pulls up at one end….. this is usually the second question asked.

By the way I found the best tool for cleaning out the splines in the female prop shaft section is one of those stainless steel pan scourers the type that looks like metal ribbon after looking for a really long metal flue brush in vain I took to the shed with a stick and scourer just add lock wire and pull the scourer apart a bit and there you have a purpose built spline cleaner…. Heath-Robinson move over!!!

Cheers

james

post-13733-1235855765_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Stripped my rear prop again today :blink: down to the needle bearings and cleaned and re-greased everything the only thing is I can’t seem to get the plastic dust collar to snap back over the female section of prop. Come to think if the collar fits over the rubber grease seal and that moves as the prop extends how on earth does the collar stay in place?

it snaps back in place, try warming the plastic collar with a hairdryer to get it a bit of flex, but don't melt it or you'll be buying a new prop. :blink:

Also does anyone know if when fitting a bulkhead repair panel do you cut back to the size of the repair panel or just weld it over the top (unlikely I know but just in case)

cut the rotten metal out so the repair plate overlaps the original bulkhead & then seam weld all the edges to give a good strong joint.

And finally I have early defender lift up recessed lock mechanisms on my from doors but cant seem to find anywhere that sells three keyed alike replacement barrels I seem to get the usual pause and Gallic shrug or worse “just how old is this vehicle”.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/8027/2917/1/MTC6504-BARREL-LOCK-KEY-SET-3-.html?limit=0 or http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/888/2917/1/395056-3-BARREL-LOCK-AND-KEY-SET.html?limit=0 set of 3 from the link <<<< reckon the 2nd link for your door locks :D

The interior handle is like the ones they used on the old Morris marina a black flap that pulls up at one end….. this is usually the second question asked.

Try MUC1216 interior door release Right & MUC1217 interior door release Left

By the way I found the best tool for cleaning out the splines in the female prop shaft section is one of those stainless steel pan scourers the type that looks like metal ribbon after looking for a really long metal flue brush in vain I took to the shed with a stick and scourer just add lock wire and pull the scourer apart a bit and there you have a purpose built spline cleaner…. Heath-Robinson move over!!!

Cheers

james

My replies in RED hope they help :i-m_so_happy: