Is that right!!

Hi,

My Brother in-law asked me in an email if I intended fitting 110 wheels to my 90 to give extra lift and better gearing!!!!!!!!! Well not to appear thick I didn’t mention the question in my reply just in case.

Is their a difference in standard 90 and standard 110 wheels apart loading issues for the extra weight of the 110.Gearing well would that be affected by wheels? Apart from larger wheels covering more distance in one full rotation or is it as I suspect what he is telling me is male beef by product as ever?

:rolleyes:

He may have meant "wheels" as in "complete wheels" not as in "rims".

Defender 90 and 110 rims are the same as indicated (well there are some variations like the Rostyle steels being fitted to 90s and not 110s, and Wolf rims being fitted to 130/110HD and not 90s but they are all 16 inch rims)

What I suspect he is talking about is that "90 wheels" ("wheel" in this case being the roundy roundy metal and rubber bit that keeps the corner off the ground as in the description "spare wheel") are often specified fitted with 205R16 tyres whereas "110 wheels" are either 7.50R16 or 235/85R16 and thus fitting a set of "110 wheels" would indeed increase your ground clearance and gearing.

Or he is pulling your chain, but don't bite immediately :)

90 & 110 wheels are the same diameter [16 inches] some are 5.5 inches wide, others are 6.5 inches wide, both can be fitted to either vehicle, if the intention is to fit wider tyres [i.e. 235/85x16] then use the wider rim 6.5 inches.

the bigger tyres will change the gearing overall & will have a effect on the speedo if going from small 205 tyres to 7.50 or bigger, in that case swap the speedo drive gear in the transfer box to the blue frc3310 [110 item] to correct the speedo.

what size tyres are fitted now ? thought it had 7.50's on when I saw it.

is it as I suspect what he is telling me is male beef by product as ever?

Yes :D

90 is so called because the wheels are 90cm across

110 is so called because the wheels are 110cm across

He is having you on.

Mine must be small then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

90 & 110 wheels are the same diameter [16 inches] some are 5.5 inches wide, others are 6.5 inches wide, both can be fitted to either vehicle, if the intention is to fit wider tyres [i.e. 235/85x16] then use the wider rim 6.5 inches.

the bigger tyres will change the gearing overall & will have a effect on the speedo if going from small 205 tyres to 7.50 or bigger, in that case swap the speedo drive gear in the transfer box to the blue frc3310 [110 item] to correct the speedo.

Ok thanks "I hate to admit he was right though" :angry:

Cheers

James

I thought that 90 and 110 refered to the wheelbase in inches :unsure:

Yes, it does but not strictly true as a

90 is actually 92.9 inches betweem axle centres

110 is dead on 110 inches

130 is actually 127 inches [a 110 chassis with a 17 inch insert]