bonding

i am sure you will all gigle at this,but i have had success in the past with good quality no-more nails.i used it to reskin the rear panels on a 90 tub.

Not giggling here, stuck a bodykit onto a VW Golf with that stuff before now, damn it sticks! :lol:

If you bond it's always good practice to add a rivet or 2 into the joint - it stops the joint peeling....

As Lotus has proved it is a very good way of creating a structural joint. Some of the abuse these little cars get is huge and there have been no issues with joint failures even the early cars have been around for over 12 years and some have done a pretty high mileage (and few Elises have easy miles ;) )

If you know anyone in the aviation world, EC9323 is a structural adhesive used to bond aircraft structures. Ideally the areas to be bonded would be anodized first. Probably OTT for what you are after though?

If you bond it's always good practice to add a rivet or 2 into the joint - it stops the joint peeling....

As Lotus has proved it is a very good way of creating a structural joint. Some of the abuse these little cars get is huge and there have been no issues with joint failures even the early cars have been around for over 12 years and some have done a pretty high mileage (and few Elises have easy miles ;) )

Will - what do Lotus use for the actual bond in addition to the rivets??

i am sure you will all gigle at this,but i have had success in the past with good quality no-more nails.i used it to reskin the rear panels on a 90 tub.

I would think NMNs dries quite hard and would not retain the degree of flexibility required in an automotive application.

It's also not that heat tolerant and a Land Rover body can get very hot in the sun.

Sikaflex/Tiger seal is the way to go.

Lotus Chassis's were made of extrusions of ali and were bolted and bonded with aircraft grade structral adhesive, I used to repair them all the time.

Hutton sell a very good Metal Adhesive which is a 2 pack

as Well as 3M do, there has been extensive testing at Thatcham on Crashing vehicles that have been repaired with bonded panels rather than welded. I may be wrong but i don't recall seeing anywhere where they say this is a safe method. But then that would be car structral panels/Safety cell, not a old 90!!

Will - what do Lotus use for the actual bond in addition to the rivets??

In this sort of joint the rivets are not structural - they only stop peel. I can't remember whether Lotus actually use rivets on all the joints but some have them and it's a standard practice. I would certainly do it for the reassusrance / longevity especially as a DIY joint won't be to the same standard as the sort of thing they do.

As far as the glue goes this should cover it...