4-speed auto into 109

LittleBlue88

Hi all

Im going to be putting the 3.5 out of my 88 into the 109 with the 4-speed auto out of the Range-Rover,having a quick glance over the truck,aside from clearance issues with the center crossmember prop hole is there anything else i should know?

Cheers

Transmission length should be okay moving from a 100" wheelbase to a 109" wheelbase even though the better V8 Series conversions have the engine pretty far back in the bay. I think you have nailed the big issue, fabbing up the proper transmission mounts and having to fab a new tunnel mount for the auto gear selector. The latter may end up intruding on the seatbox depending on how things come together. The last issue, about which I know nothing so can ony ask a question, is whether there are any computer issues between the RRC autobox and the presumably carbed 3.5? If non efi, will the autobox work seamlessly with the engine?

Sorry, misread your post thought you were putting it into the 88 not the 109. :rolleyes:

Should be no problem, this is how mine sits:

engine_bay.jpg

It's deliberately that far back to keep things reasonably central & give room in the front for PAS, radiator & fan etc. - the props are almost the same length as each other. You could get hold of a pair of 110 props and mount the whole lot such that you can use them as standard.

Assuming you've already got a remote oil filter setup on the 88 that will transfer.

In response to RPR's question, the 4HP22 contains no computers unless it's from a P38a.

RPR - As Fridge says,the gearbox is not computer controlled so should work with a carb'd 3.5.........i think!

Fridgefreezer - I have got a remote filter assy on the 88,but im going to need that for when i put the 3.9 in,i wasnt planning on keeping the oil cooler take-off for the engine but might put it on the 3.5 with a Defender TD radiator....prob just bite the bullet and buy two rads for both!

I was going to put the engine/box as far back as i poss could,and use/modify props to suit, i suspect it might be even further back than yours John :blink: