19J Turbo upgrade/mods.

I am gathering various parts to build a series budget offroader. I have a Turbo Diesl engine (non aftercooled) and plan to put in a large aftercooler up front to keep inlet temps down and was wondering if the fitting of a 200/300 Tdi turbo would be a worthwhile upgrade? I know the Series gearbox can't take a great deal but with a litlle work to the exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, cooler, some flow-work on the head should provide a healthy increase to torque especially if I keep the Td pistons as they are higher compression than the Tdi variants and should help a very little on minimising turbolag (or so I was told).

Would fitting a 200/300tdi be a worthy addition? I'm trying to keep costs down and keep to quite a small budget. All 200Tdi's so far i've seen are over £500 thus far around here and the Td I have has only done 80,000 miles. I knew the owner and vehicle it came from.

What do you guys reckon? Any advice on getting more torque out of her. I want to keep her to reasonable boost levels around the 12psi to keep her as reliable as possible.

Fitting an intercooler is a good idea, but trying to improve the power of the engine could be a mistake - the TD engine is well-known for cracking pistons due to heat stress. A 200/300TDi Turbo may make it go pop.

Les.

i agree, i think the 200/300 turbo would be too much for it,

my turbo diesel has a larger intercooler on it and i like it, seems to provide more power, the td engines are ok unill they do go pop, i would not put one in, you can get disco tdi's for about £200 if your lucky one ebay, anyway, good luck, think about a non land rover enine ie izuzu or diahatsu, lots of power and reliable, i have a 2.8 daihatsu turbo with the land rover conversion kit if you are intersted, thanks

i agree, i think the 200/300 turbo would be too much for it,

my turbo diesel has a larger intercooler on it and i like it, seems to provide more power, the td engines are ok unill they do go pop, i would not put one in, you can get disco tdi's for about £200 if your lucky one ebay, anyway, good luck, think about a non land rover enine ie izuzu or diahatsu, lots of power and reliable, i have a 2.8 daihatsu turbo with the land rover conversion kit if you are intersted, thanks

My 89 TD has now done 140k. miles with no problems . Fitted an Alisport Big intercooler and a K&N, the turbo boost was turned up as well . This was done at about 85k. If you look in the TD manual the recommended oil is very heavy duty high spec. which you should keep to.

I would put the TD in because you have got it, fit a disco intercooler in front of the rad. Alisport i am sure would make up some pipework and give advice On turning up the boost. Try it without the intercooler first and feel the difference!

Regards Simon

My 89 TD has now done 140k. miles with no problems . Fitted an Alisport Big intercooler and a K&N, the turbo boost was turned up as well . This was done at about 85k. If you look in the TD manual the recommended oil is very heavy duty high spec. which you should keep to.

I would put the TD in because you have got it, fit a disco intercooler in front of the rad. Alisport i am sure would make up some pipework and give advice On turning up the boost. Try it without the intercooler first and feel the difference!

Regards Simon

Cheers guys for the info. B)

Thanks for the offer crazyfarmer boy but I am a littl out of your way being over in Northern Ireland, hate to think what carriage would be mate!! :lol: Unfortunately, I have tried to get a 200Tdi but the cheapest I have seen thus far is £500 :( Call me old fashioned but I want to keep as much of the mechanics Land Rover as I can.

I can't help but think that if the engine's weakness is the pistons then why not change the pistons rather than change the engine, mind you that cost a few hundred quid anyhow as would then buying a turbo too, might as well therefore add the little extra and get the engine as a whole.

On the whole, for the sake of cost etc and to satisfy a bit of curiosity I think i'll stick with the Td, add the intercooler, dial a little more boost in and tweak it slightly. Then save up a little and get the 200Tdi, an R380 box and a fitting kit for the box to mate to a S3 T'box.

It occurs to me though that if the top end of the Td turbo is about the 11psi level

then if I put a 200Tdi turbo on that runs normally at 12psi then this is less likely to go supernova! Additionally is the reputation of the pistons as a result of an engine that is having to deal with huge amounts of compression and stress from the heat from a non aftercooled turbo? Am I right or am I just two sticks short of a bundle here?

Thanks for the info and comments guys ;)

Fitting an intercooler to a TD engine will help a small amount, but then fitting a 200TDi turbo will cancell out that benefit. There are no stronger pistons available as far as I know. By the time you've bought an intercooler, the pipework, and a 200TDi Turbo - it may well be cheaper to buy a whole 200TDi Disco and do the whole conversion.. There are some TD engines out there that have done many miles and are still reliable, but the fact is there are also a lot that do crack pistons (one of the reasons that the 200TDi engine conversion is so popular). If you us a TD engine for normal road work, then generally they are fine, but use them for hard work, such as towing/off-road, then it's only a matter of time before they fail. The 200TDi engine is a vast improvement - smoother, more powerful, reliable, strong, etc, etc.

You could pick up an older Disco with excessive body rot for around £3-400, and have everything you need to do the conversion.

Les.

It kinda is a bit of a no brainer isn't it? :D

There you go being the voice of common sense and reason again!! :lol::lol: I am going to use it offroad so, it's as well to buy the stronger engine then, preferably the stronger R380 box too, if I can get a decent one too then.

Might use a little brains and sell it on and use the cash to buy another wreck or parts. Well that's me in trouble, I only just got rid of the last wreck lying around the place. More grief about having the place look like a scrapyard then!! :lol:

If the chassis is ok and the rest of it isn't bad, then perhaps better the devil you know than an unknown history replacement. Chassis is what would swing it for me - if there's lots of plates/rot, then it's only a matter of time before it's no longer worth the effort, and by then it'll be scrap or sell to a blind man/fool.

Expensive 90 doors can be replaced with series items (a whole new series door will only set you back around £90. A series back door will also fit yours - £60 for one of those, so perhaps bodywork isn't such a consideration after all. I don't know if you've ever driven a 200TDi 90, but if you do the conversion you will be very impressed with it. I've never heard of anyone regretting doing this conversion.

While at present you have to find a long stretch of road, nail the throttle and bounce up and down on the seat in order to overtake the odd invalid carriage/ kids on scooters/pikey on a bikey/ early morning joggers/etc.

With a 200TDi engine throbbing away under the bonnet in a perverted sexy sort of way, you'll be able to overtake tractors,(even quite quick ones), lorries, the elderly (driving anything at all, but on the nearside, because we all know what they're like), plebs on scooters, boy racers in Nova's wiv a wikkid can on the back - in fact, loads of motorised vehicles that previously would have been just a distant numberplate while you clank along in their rear view mirror. In fact, the only thing you'll miss is the engine/transmission racket that can conveniently drown out the missus giving you an ear-bashing while you're trying to concentrate on the road/a new funny noise from the engine.

Les :)