Making a snorkel top

Les Henson

I volunteered to make a snorkel top for V8 Freaks 4.6 V8 bunny killer :) . Not really a technical thread as I forgot to take pictures/didn't think many people would do it. This is my 6th attempt - drilling a neat pattern of holes or slots is really difficult, plus things such as minimal restriction of air flow - both through the holes and air flow through the snorkel body and connecting pipework. I used a 2kg Co2 fire extinguisher to make the body of the snorkel, then 57 x 12mm holes - done with a hand drill :(

There's also a gutter to prevent water from running down the cylinder of the snorkel top and into the intake. Not finished yet (obviously), the gutter has to be seam welded and the pipe stub to be connected at an angle to the bottom of it, then clean the inside and blank the other end off.

More pics will follow as I work/finish it.

gallery_2_775_7795.jpg

gallery_2_775_18223.jpg

gallery_2_775_13335.jpg

Les.

Did it make a loud bang when you drilled the first hole in it? :lol::ph34r:

No, but I got a bit damned close :(

gallery_2_775_5787.jpg

Didn't get much more done today. Seam welded the gutter, then tarted it up with filler, and then wore my finger out smoothing it into profile.

gallery_2_775_15938.jpg

gallery_2_775_19572.jpg

Les :)

^^^

Mmmmm Nice :)

I did similar with mine, and yep as others have said drilling a line(s) of holes is a nigtmere.

On mine to help with the holes I used some graph paper, and stuck in on with seletape

Then went all the way around where is had been marked for holes and hole punched the F lot

removed the paper and there were all the holes Clamped (not easy :lol:... then drilled all

the holes hole punched with a small hole, then a bigger one,

Its one of those jobs that can be messed up in a careless moment, so just take your time

Nice tho Les, if he argues on the price :( go to Plan B - grate his head with it :lol:

Nige

On mine to help with the holes I used some graph paper, and stuck in on with seletape

Then went all the way around where is had been marked for holes and hole punched the F lot

removed the paper and there were all the holes Clamped (not easy :lol: ... then drilled all

the holes hole punched with a small hole, then a bigger one,

I used a bent bit of metal :blink:

Les. :)

Doh!

Why do we have lasers and cnc drives................................... :(

Beat me to it!

I was going to say that Dave can laser cut tube - so putting in perfect lines of holes is not a problem - you could even cut out pictures - how classy would that be?!

Si

Beat me to it!

I was going to say that Dave can laser cut tube - so putting in perfect lines of holes is not a problem - you could even cut out pictures - how classy would that be?!

Si

Eek, brings to mind Scrapiron's Safari snorkal grille !! :ph34r:

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished :)

Just the 90-deg bend to weld to it.

A change of plan meant the pipe was going in the end - rather than at an angle underneath as I originally intended.

Also - thicker steel to cap the ends off to prevent vibration cracking, so 2mm thick at those points.

And three drainage holes at the bottom as the top could hold about 1/2 pint of water.

Les.

post-2-1237115122_thumb.jpg

post-2-1237115141_thumb.jpg

Just about done now :)

90-deg stainless bend (bit of care here to make sure the vertical pipe-to-snorkel top will still be 90-deg)

I couldn't do a decent weld from mild to stainless, so opted for a massive weld that then needed tarting up with the angle grinder.

Some more filler to make it look half decent/cover up the rubbish weld :(

Just the vertical pipe to attach now, so that the external snorkel is all one piece and will be removeable as one piece from the wing top.

Oh - and a paint job :)

post-2-1237415822_thumb.jpg

post-2-1237415832_thumb.jpg

post-2-1237415842_thumb.jpg

post-2-1237415852_thumb.jpg

Les.

• 3 weeks later...

Final installment - doing the rest of the work on the vehicle. The materials needed to finish it are 2 x 1m x 75mm I/D bore stainless steel tubing, 3 x 90-deg bends, 1 x 45-deg bend, some 2.5mm mild steel plate, and 75mm I/D silicone tubing (about 4-inches of it)

The idea is to make the section above the wing in a single removeable piece, then another piece from under the wing to the engine bay, and then the connection to the air filter housing, so a 3-piece system, with minimal risk of any leaks. Not really much measuring - just eyeing it up, and crossing fingers :)

FYI - the snorkel is for a 4.6V8 110 CSW with as near zero restriction of airflow throughout the system (some popular makes of snorkel have a choke point in the system).

Wing top plates first - 2.5mm plates with m8 studs welded to the top one to clamp the plates top and bottom of the wing top.

gallery_2_775_16743.jpg

gallery_2_775_53862.jpg

How top and bottom section are joined -

gallery_2_775_10561.jpg

The first 90-deg bend - 'eyed' so that it will end-up just outside of the screen hinge, then 40cm and another 90-deg bend to get it to point upwards.

gallery_2_775_15344.jpg

gallery_2_775_46579.jpg

gallery_2_775_48233.jpg

45-deg bend trimmed to follow the angle of the screen/vent panel, then angle cut the next section of tube to lean inwards and follow the edge of the screen.

gallery_2_775_42922.jpg

gallery_2_775_21027.jpg

There was previously a Safari snorkel, so the same mounting point is used to prevent any unsightly holes in the A-pillar.

gallery_2_775_24004.jpg

Get some old geezer to position the snorkel top for the final alighnment.

gallery_2_775_7874.jpg

Final weld-

gallery_2_775_23203.jpg

Final mounting point on the end of the top to keep everything still.

gallery_2_775_36531.jpg

The finished item - ready to go and get tarted up.

gallery_2_775_33039.jpg

gallery_2_775_13567.jpg

gallery_2_775_30293.jpg

gallery_2_775_19873.jpg

Under the wing next. Pipe is 77mm O/D, and the gap is 82mm :(

A couple of DIY bends in order to miss the brake master, some silicone tubing, 40cm of tubing with another DIY bend in it to aim at the air box, then a final piece of tubing to connect it all up.

gallery_2_775_11258.jpg

gallery_2_775_21521.jpg

gallery_2_775_53083.jpg

Just one more picture to finish this thread, and that's when the snorkel is painted and fitted for the final time at the end of the week hopefully. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, considering most of it is done by eye.

FYI - from the drivers seat the snorkel can't be seen at all, except where it passes along the wing top, so zero effect on visibility.

Les.

It's "just in case I venture near a puddle..."

I have to say Les has done a fantastic job. As he says it's pretty much invisible from inside the truck.

It's gone away to be painted red, white and sky blue pink so it doesn't stand out at all... Will have it back this weekend hopefully.

If Mrs Freak lets me near the truck this weekend it'll be fitted. Some RTV (sensor safe) sealant between the plates will be the final seal in the snorkel. New filter to go in the airbox and that will be sealed up too....

If I can find someone with large hands to cover the top. I'll test the air seals... Fingers crossed it will be totally airtight !!

When it's back, all nicely decorated (Maybe with some sprinkling of glitter too to keep Nige happy), I'll pop some pictures up in this thread.

Many thanks for all the great work Les....

Neil

Well it got sprayed.. They did a wonderful job too.

Here are a few pics all connected up like.

post-1475-1239390111_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1239390121_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1239390130_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1239390140_thumb.jpg

Taken it for a run and no noises etc. so it's perfik innit.. .Wikkid...

It didn't break free and leave the truck on a "private" road at some slightly fast speeds either so I believe it will survive normal, legal, speeds no problems

Neil