Grating noise from bellhousing

Managed to spend a few hours on the v8 series rebuild/money pit at the weekend.

I was planning on firing up the engine for the first time (new to me), however, on fitting the crank pulley and turning it over, there was a tight spot and a grating noise coming from the bellhousing.

I pulled the engine out (again....) and it turned over just peachy. The gearbox also turns just fine. I cannot see any marks anywhere that might indicate something rubbing.

The only thing I can think of that might cause this is not having the clutch lined up dead straight, causing the end of the mainshaft to rub hard on the spigot bush - which is quite a loose fit.

What does the panel think?

With everything assembled it's a good idea to release the clutch so that any misalligmnet or stresses on the input shaft are relieved.

Have you go the plate the right way round? I think if you get it wrong the release pad protrudes too far and may bind on the release bearing ???

With everything assembled it's a good idea to release the clutch so that any misalligmnet or stresses on the input shaft are relieved.

Have you go the plate the right way round? I think if you get it wrong the release pad protrudes too far and may bind on the release bearing ???

Yes, I would, but the clutch isn't plumbed in yet!

I made that mistake when I put the clutch on - the friction plate only fits one way round.

Clutch release bearing bedding in? or is it worse... like something catching on the flywheel?

Yes, it sounded like something catching on the flywheel - that was in fact my first thought. A really nasty abrasive grating noise...

Fitting slave cylinder to a Dolomite 1850 years ago, had the box out 4 times just to retreive said bolts that we'd dropped when fitting, only to find they had found their way in through the clutch fork hole...

May not your problem,

When I replaced my V8 in the Series1 I used new bolts around the bellhousing.

When I tried to turn it over it was solid, the bolts were too long and were hitting the flywheel.

It is possible the one bolt is too long? I know you said that you could not see any rubbing marks.

Marc.

May not your problem,

When I replaced my V8 in the Series1 I used new bolts around the bellhousing.

When I tried to turn it over it was solid, the bolts were too long and were hitting the flywheel.

It is possible the one bolt is too long? I know you said that you could not see any rubbing marks.

Marc.

Excellent idea - yes, could very well be the problem. I have replaced some of the studs.

The area in which it would be rubbing would be hidden behind the conversion plate in this case. I'll check this weekend.

I had something like this on a racer I had years ago

I tried everything, and had the engine in and out like a hookey kookey game :(

In the end I was beat, in desperation I grabbed a white spray aerosol and lightly dusted everything in there,

when I then pulled the engine out I could see immeaditely and easily exactly what was catching :)

Paint came off everything that mattered with a petrolly rag, but at least I found it :)

Just a thought when you reach that point ?

Nige

In the end I was beat, in desperation I grabbed a white spray aerosol and lightly dusted everything in there,

when I then pulled the engine out I could see immeaditely and easily exactly what was catching :)

Nige

Good idea - assuming it isn't the clutch spines or a stud hitting the flywheel, then I may well do that.

Out of interest, what was it?

Oh well that sinks my idea.

I think I know what you are thinking there - I made that mistake with the first pressure plate, as I had a 2A plate sitting on the shelf. Couldn't understand why the engine wouldn't go on the box - then couldn't understand why it wouldn't come apart again!