Front Towbar

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/front_towbars.html

Im saving up for one, and hear you can ask for there to be two holders (one centre and one offset).

Im keeping an eye on ebay at the moment, to get the detatchable bit from any old car then I can make a bracket up myself... (obviously only to be used by me and would get a strong one from decent sized car)

Thanks, that looks like just the job - and as you suggest the pricelist says you can spec both centre & offset.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/front_towbars.html

Im saving up for one, and hear you can ask for there to be two holders (one centre and one offset).

Im keeping an eye on ebay at the moment, to get the detatchable bit from any old car then I can make a bracket up myself... (obviously only to be used by me and would get a strong one from decent sized car)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a front towbar for a defender?

Must be center mounted, but hitch doesn't need to be removable (although obviously would be nice).

Thanks

Matt

I just beefed up my standard bumper with some 6mm section 'U' shape Steel that runs between the Chassis Rails behind the bumper and the standard 'L' shape bracket (as used on the back of a 110) underneath and then bolted a cut down Dixon Bate Ladder to it all. As a result I can use the same Dixon Bate Sliders that I use on the Back (either 50mm or NATO) depending on which trailer I want to shunt.

It seems to work OK with a Car Trailer with a Range Rover on it in a muddy field and like you it needed to be central to get into tight spaces.

Colin.

• 4 weeks later...
I just beefed up my standard bumper with some 6mm section 'U' shape Steel that runs between the Chassis Rails behind the bumper and the standard 'L' shape bracket (as used on the back of a 110) underneath and then bolted a cut down Dixon Bate Ladder to it all. As a result I can use the same Dixon Bate Sliders that I use on the Back (either 50mm or NATO) depending on which trailer I want to shunt.

It seems to work OK with a Car Trailer with a Range Rover on it in a muddy field and like you it needed to be central to get into tight spaces.

Colin.

sounds good, could you add some photo's Please.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of mine at the weekend (when I get my Landy back since my other half has nicked it since her car failed it's MOT), not that they will show too much as all the interesting bits are hidden behind the bumper.

I know I was negligent in not taking pictures as I was constructing my bumper but I was in a bit of a hurry as I had a Trailer to move in a Muddy field & it just wasn't working with the Rear Tow Hitch (& my bad reversing with the Trailer).

In the meantime I think my description of what I did was pretty good (if I do say so myself), basically if you can imagine the standard rear mounted Dixon Bate ladder transplanted from a 110 CSW to a Front Bumper with a bit of U shape steel behind the bumper and the bottom of the ladder hacked off, then you will get the idea.

I've just got to work out how to fit my EP9 to it all now, I'm thinking of just bolting a standard(ish) Winch plate to the top of my bumper using the existing bumper fixings and a couple of substantial 'L' brackets to tie into my existing reinforcing

I'll see if I can get some pictures of mine at the weekend (when I get my Landy back since my other half has nicked it since her car failed it's MOT), not that they will show too much as all the interesting bits are hidden behind the bumper.

I know I was negligent in not taking pictures as I was constructing my bumper but I was in a bit of a hurry as I had a Trailer to move in a Muddy field & it just wasn't working with the Rear Tow Hitch (& my bad reversing with the Trailer).

In the meantime I think my description of what I did was pretty good (if I do say so myself), basically if you can imagine the standard rear mounted Dixon Bate ladder transplanted from a 110 CSW to a Front Bumper with a bit of U shape steel behind the bumper and the bottom of the ladder hacked off, then you will get the idea.

I've just got to work out how to fit my EP9 to it all now, I'm thinking of just bolting a standard(ish) Winch plate to the top of my bumper using the existing bumper fixings and a couple of substantial 'L' brackets to tie into my existing reinforcing

OK, finally able to make use of the Clocks changing and some nice bright sunny weather to get some pictures after I prised the Landy out of my other half's hands:

FrontTow6642.jpgFrontTow6644.jpgFrontTow6645.jpg

Colin.

post-12380-1238699185_thumb.jpg

Unless you're moving anything really heavy just bolt a normal tow ball on with a spreader plate and pukka bolts, as long as you keep it below 70mph you'll be fine.

70mph in reverse, or trying to push a trailer backwards :ph34r:

interesting lmao

mikey

i have seen quick detach winch trays, maybe this would fit onto your towing thingymabob bit (quick detach doohla)

failing that BODGE IT lol

also i have jus finished making my new rear bumper, with a towing eye in it, and to strenghternit further than it already is, i put another tube inside it inbetween the chassis rails.

mikey

i have seen quick detach winch trays, maybe this would fit onto your towing thingymabob bit (quick detach doohla)

failing that BODGE IT lol

also i have jus finished making my new rear bumper, with a towing eye in it, and to strenghternit further than it already is, i put another tube inside it inbetween the chassis rails.

mikey

Yep, going to go for 'BODGE IT'. I'm going to sandwich a Winch Tray between the Bumper & Bull Bar (will have to remote mount the Solenoid), by my calculations I will probably have to space the Bull Bar up about 4mm to clear one of the terminals unless I can rotate the motor end of the EP9 so the terminals are all behind vertical (if that makes sense), does anyone know if that is possible?. Hopefully this will be my Easter project.

I had considered making it 'Quick Detach' but having tried to lift a complete EP9 I think it would be just too heavy to fit on my own (& you can bet that when I really needed it I would be on my own)

I also plan to BODGE a quick detach tray to fit my Dixon Bate for my smaller 'S' series winch (so I can have the option of a rear winch) at some time. This should be a lot easier as it is just a 2 bolt fixing compared to the 4 bolt EP9.

Colin.

Yep, going to go for 'BODGE IT'. I'm going to sandwich a Winch Tray between the Bumper & Bull Bar (will have to remote mount the Solenoid), by my calculations I will probably have to space the Bull Bar up about 4mm to clear one of the terminals unless I can rotate the motor end of the EP9 so the terminals are all behind vertical (if that makes sense), does anyone know if that is possible?. Hopefully this will be my Easter project.

Colin.

OK, I've managed to answer the 'rotate motor end' question myself but it looks like there are only 4 possibilities 90degrees apart (unlike the 9 for the gearbox end), I was hoping for something around the 40-60degree mark.

So, next stupid question, 'is there any reason why I shouldn't mount the whole thing the wrong way around?'.

I was thinking I would prefer the Freespool to be on my left (when looking at the front of the Landy) and then the High Current electrics are on the same side of the Landy as the Battery.

Cheers.

Colin.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I've managed to answer the 'rotate motor end' question myself but it looks like there are only 4 possibilities 90degrees apart (unlike the 9 for the gearbox end), I was hoping for something around the 40-60degree mark.

Cheers.

Colin.

OK Managed to complete the fitting of the Winch & it's tray to the Bumper and take some pictures of how I have constructed the Cut Down Dixon Bate attachment so I have a centrally mounted Front Towbar.

Please see the attached:

I think it's all quite self explanatory what I've done, if not give us a shout & I will try to explain it.

Just got to make sure it all actually fits on the Landy, wire it up & give it a coat of Hammerite.

Colin.

post-12380-1240086061_thumb.jpg

post-12380-1240086099_thumb.jpg

post-12380-1240086133_thumb.jpg

post-12380-1240086180_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

20170623_182248_resized.thumb.jpg.fdae115d93c5bcde033067b38cde1e69.jpg20170623_182302_resized.thumb.jpg.84dbdcdd28eecc92cfaa3ace6781f805.jpg20170623_202007_resized.thumb.jpg.b72daccf1c9c5179115e11b4f92c9115.jpg20170623_202016_resized.thumb.jpg.2f9a81c573daf6262cd45dbbeb82be66.jpg

The above is the fit I have.  It requires no modification to the chassis rails, will fit ns or os rail.  Uses the same cross bolt that secures the towing eye to retain the bracket.

Edited by b4lamb
Added a carriage return to drop the text below the pictures