My plans for Expedition style Disco 200tdi/300tdi

JJ7893

Hi there, As the MOT at the end of march the 300tdi ES will be on the road, As our daily drive car (Pink Toyota Estima Lucida) is coming off the road, It is struggling to cope with these roads on Anglesey, (Been modded Lowered body kit etc no less then 4" of the road!!) So that is why we are got the disco, But it is also to help me with me doing the Collage work (Photography). So now I would like to turn the 300tdi to our everyday use car Kids to school run, shopping, visiting places, etc but also it will be used for my partner to go to collage as she is a beauty technician. So that will leave me with the 200tdi to play with. What would you lot would recommend me to add to the 200tdi? I like to add a roof rack but they cost a lot of money to buy so would it be wrong to build/make one? It so I can stand on it with tripod etc so it give me the extra height, I dont plan on going over very extreme ground but maybe as much as greenlaning so whats the best thing for me to get? I dont want to get things that are not called for that I will not need etc, So what would you think that will be suitable for me? Also it has 7 seats and I like to keep them in as I have too many children!! But would like to add a secure box in the boot that would be easily removed when needed to. Think I better stop writing!!! must be getting on peoples nerves here :D

Regards JJ

Hi there, As the MOT at the end of march the 300tdi ES will be on the road, As our daily drive car (Pink Toyota Estima Lucida) is coming off the road, It is struggling to cope with these roads on Anglesey, (Been modded Lowered body kit etc no less then 4" of the road!!) So that is why we are got the disco, But it is also to help me with me doing the Collage work (Photography). So now I would like to turn the 300tdi to our everyday use car Kids to school run, shopping, visiting places, etc but also it will be used for my partner to go to collage as she is a beauty technician. So that will leave me with the 200tdi to play with. What would you lot would recommend me to add to the 200tdi? I like to add a roof rack but they cost a lot of money to buy so would it be wrong to build/make one? It so I can stand on it with tripod etc so it give me the extra height, I dont plan on going over very extreme ground but maybe as much as greenlaning so whats the best thing for me to get? I dont want to get things that are not called for that I will not need etc, So what would you think that will be suitable for me? Also it has 7 seats and I like to keep them in as I have too many children!! But would like to add a secure box in the boot that would be easily removed when needed to. Think I better stop writing!!! must be getting on peoples nerves here :D

Regards JJ

If you are just greenlaning then why bother with the roof rack? Remember you will increase your centre of gravity and you will also find that the Discovery does not allow for a lot of weight anyway once the roof rack is fitted. Go for a decent set of tyres and you will find the Discovery will cope with most greenlaning trips.

regards

Dave

I find that standing on the rear wheel gives me a lot of extra height for photos. And you can sit on the back of the roof with your feet on the spare. Just buy a rear door ladder if you need to, £50.

Unless you need to carry things on the roof then a roofrack is an expensive purchase that will also increas your fuel consumption and make it harder to get into carparks. This weekend a 110 got stuck when out green laning. The roofrack got well hooked up on branches and some prunning was needed :rolleyes::lol:

You'll be surprised at how good the standard disco is without any mods. As said, some tyres would be the biggest improvement that you could make to it's off-road capabilities (but again for laning you don't need swampers!).

A chequer plate bonnet might be useful. They look purposeful, give you something to stand on with a tripod, and throw bags on etc?

A friend or club who are into greenlaning would also be a worthwhile investment ;)

That way you can go out, see how the vehicle performs, see how bitten youa re by the bug, and see what you actually need rather than what you think you need.

Just my 2p's worth.

Thank you for your advice it very valuable to me, Im working on a fellow members Disco doing a new rear boot floor and other things and he is in to offroading and I have asked if he would take me greenlaning, and We will see what happens, I have scratch my eye lens so it very sore and blur at the moment getting better though. So hope it will be sooner than later to finnish off the disco and have a see in offroading (got a feeling Im going to get bitten by the offroading bug!!!).

As for roof rack it only for me to stand to see high up and get a diffrent angle on the landscape etc also maybe to carry long things from the timber yard etc

......JJ

I have to agree that for greenlaning all you will need is some decent tyres. I must admit I never go anywhere as difficult as some on the forum, but BFG A/T's are more than enough and they give you a decent "on-road" performance as well!

Regarding the roof rack, if you have the usual rails and the cross members packed away with the tyre changing kit, how about a sheet of 3/4 MDF which will fit on the boot floor when not in use and a couple of brackets/shackles for when you and the tripod want to get up on high? - Only a couple of inches lower than the rear of the roof and a lot cheaper................

(Mind you, I'm only just 11 stone.......................)

I have to agree that for greenlaning all you will need is some decent tires. I must admit I never go anywhere as difficult as some on the forum, but BFG A/T's are more than enough and they give you a decent "on-road" performance as well!

Regarding the roof rack, if you have the usual rails and the cross members packed away with the tyre changing kit, how about a sheet of 3/4 MDF which will fit on the boot floor when not in use and a couple of brackets/shackles for when you and the tripod want to get up on high? - Only a couple of inches lower than the rear of the roof and a lot cheaper................

(Mind you, I'm only just 11 stone.......................)

Hi I do need tires for the disco as the ones I got are bold!! tbh I will be doing a lot more road miles than off so I know there no need to get big chunky knobbly tires, :P but will need some that will balance out the road & off road what do you think would be best to suit me? I will be towing a heavy trailer too (Ex horse box than been chopped down to size with landy axle just so you get the idea how big it is) so if that makes a difference? Another plan could be 2 sets of wheels? one for road and if I know I'm going off road then change them over? I know where there is a set of second hand tires going but I cant remember if he said it truly a off or on road tires and he will be putting them on ebay soon but my budget is out of the window this month with the 300tdi needing to be on the road this month! hence the reason on making a platform/roof rack.

As for the roof rack I understand what your saying but it more like a second skin you find on the safari series but stronger and thin ply on it just for me to stand on with tripod (I'm only 11 stone too) and the ply is mainly to keep out the branches out, I see if I can get my PC working again and get a drawing to show you, But for now the saying is the "skin" is only about 1" above the roof and it goes over the edge to follow the profile of the roof (sunroof is manual with a turn dial not bothered about them) I will not be carrying anything on the roof but if I do I could put floor flushing eyes in the ply so it could be used to tie it down or just don't carry anything lol. The reason for tripod I like to take pic of wildlife so waiting for an animal to come out could be hurting my arms without doing sudden movement also reason so high up is so I can look over hedges and walls to fields so they (the object) cant see the disco or me as much (200tdi is bright red, partner calls it Tigger!!) I take pictures in North Wales to North of Nottinghamshire (Newark area) where my Partner is from Via Buxton lots of interesting picture to take ;) . Also this writing is just so you get the picture/idea of what I do and the reason for being picky :blink:

Thanks for your help .......JJ