disco axels

moony123

not sure just chatting to people about the idea

is it poss to convert to coil without changing the chassis?

Not according to Designa Chassis, they add an extra 2 inches to the hight of the chassis in the centre area as the stress model they used suggests that a series chassis cannot take the different stress pattern that comes from the use of coils?

Also you have to alow for the vertical seperation of the rear axle radius arms and the "A" frame mounting. If the mountings are not far enough apart the handling will suffer.

Coiling it will of course put you in SVA land (or the replacement of the SVA). :(

Marc.

not sure just chatting to people about the idea

is it poss to convert to coil without changing the chassis?

I'm not sure TBH, I think it sounds like a lot of work, especially when you can buy a new coil sprung 88" chassis or just chop down a RR/Disco chassis.

I'd have though welding the spring perches onto the axles and running with parabolic suspension would be a good bet if you just want the axles.

Last time I spoke to them,Designa Chassis were producing nothing following a fire in the next door bussiness - Have they started up again?

Many people have coil-sprung a series chassis - I dont see any reason against it in principal.Designa Chassis chose to build their chassis's with deeper rails than any RR classic or disco 1.Their stress analysis would need a little explanation before using their decision to rule out a series chassis coil conversion.

A friend of mine had a coil-sprung series 1 on origional chassis for several years,and I have converted my series 2 on leaf springs to run on disco axles.

Its all possible with a little research.

Space to rent? Where would like it?

Jerry.