difflock confusion

discojmz

hi guys. Ive searched and read through a few of the past 'difflock problem' type topics but not yet found one that covers the same problem as I think im having.

with my discovery in position as per the photo here, the drivers side front wheel was scrubbing on the floor and forward motion ceased. with the weight off that tyre in comparison to the others, this would be expected with the difflock out, but the difflock light was on, lever over to the left.

does the light mean the difflock is definitely engaged, or just that certain parts of the linkage are in the correct position?

by my reckoning if the difflock were working properly, one wheel at the front with low traction should not have been an issue because both rear wheels should have been driving forward as normal?

any insight appreciated

jim

post-2772-1236030113_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that neither rear wheel was spinning? A standard Disco would spin one front and the diagonally opposite rear wheel in this situation. So, OSF and NSR. The diff lock lamp only illuminates when the dog clutch for diff lock is engaged.

Chris

it's certainly possible. i could see black marks on the floor where the front wheel had been, but nothing at the back. looking at it, that rear n/s tyre does appear to have some evidence of spinning at the top of it, but if that is the case, im fairly disappointed with the ease with which it has broken traction on not one but two wheels

looking through the other little photos my mate snapped at the time, I think perhaps im being daft or just a little naiive.

this was the OSR wheel at the same time. considering ive got HD rear springs fitted to the truck, I suppose im overlooking just how much of the vehicle's weight has been shifted to this corner and thus lifted from its axle partner?

I suppose ive not really spent any time considering the whys and wherefores

post-2772-1236030775_thumb.jpg

Only one rear would have been driving, unless you've fitted an aftermarket locker such as ARB, KAM or Detroit. Standard diff lock only means a "guarantee" of one wheel on each axle turning. From your pic, it should have been the NSR spinning. Get a mate to watch, or set up the video camera going :)

Only one rear would have been driving, unless you've fitted an aftermarket locker such as ARB, KAM or Detroit. Standard diff lock only means a "guarantee" of one wheel on each axle turning. From your pic, it should have been the NSR spinning. Get a mate to watch, or set up the video camera going :)

or mark the wheel..