Using Bottle jack on Defender

I have acquired a RR P38 bottle jack.

It does not extend as far up as the axle when fully extended. Not a big problem. Keeping a wood spacer or brick in the car will solve this.

Now for the question: When I do get it to the right height - where should I place it under the axle so as not to damage anything? Does it matter?

The defender is a 2002 MY 90 CSW.

Thanks

Martin

What size tyres have you got on ??? I use one of those jacks on mine and with 35 inch Simex on I don't need a block of wood. It's in two stages and has quite a good lift on it as a result. Maybe you've only used the first stage ?

At the front I find the best place to use it is just to the outside of the radius arms, in the small section of axle between the radius arm and the flange where the swivel ball bolts on. The rear is about the same place but you have a bit more room. It shouldn't damage anything as there shouldn't be anything under the axle to damage.

hope you don't mind if i ask a question.

i've been trying to find a suitable bottle jack for my 90.

does anyone know of a bottle jack that has'nt got a small flat round top..........i am really nervous by them in case the axle slips off!

ideally i would like one with a U shaped bracket on the top to 'cup' te axle.

cheers and sorry if this is a thread hi-jack [b*gger, sorry for the pun] :blink:

hope you don't mind if i ask a question.

i've been trying to find a suitable bottle jack for my 90.

does anyone know of a bottle jack that has'nt got a small flat round top..........i am really nervous by them in case the axle slips off!

ideally i would like one with a U shaped bracket on the top to 'cup' te axle.

cheers and sorry if this is a thread hi-jack [b*gger, sorry for the pun] :blink:

Plenty on Ebay ;)

Seconding that motion, I will say do not use hard compressed IKEA wood- :huh:

I third that motion - when crawling around under a couple of tons of steel that would mash your head like a tomato - you should (please!) only use purpose built lifting and supporting equipment..

Maybe you've only used the first stage ?

It lifted to about 2 inches below the axle and seemed to stop there. I will have another go next time I am where I have left it.

The tyres are standard Defender tyres at 235/85R16. Sounds like the jack needs some TLC.

No bricks - duly noted. :i-m_so_happy:

Martin

Just to add another stupid question but how do you let the jack down after you're done??

I bought one a while ago and not used it yet and have only used hi lifts before

There's a control valve at the bottom right in the pic, you need to close it (turn clockwise) to lift and open it (anti-clockwise) to lower it. They normally need a bit of pressure to close them so once it's free of the vehicle stand on it to finish closing.

The handle has a slot in the end that hooks onto the lugs on the valve so you can turn it with the handle without being under the vehicle.

Is it possible to get a rebuild kit for these jacks? As I have just discovered mine won't lift my discovery high enough to get a 32" wheel/tyre on let alone 33" ones that have just ordered. :angry:

Both stages are lifting but looking at Daves picture the top section is not fully extending. It has plenty of oil in and is going rock solid at the upper end of the available travel.

Wow .....Thanks Dave ..... that was quick. ;) ;) :rolleyes: Just what I needed.

Mine is not extending the lower bit properly. I will have a good look when next where I have left it.

Is there any maintenance that I need to think of doing to it to unblock it?

Cheers

Martin

Edited to ask does it just need filling. If so what with?

It just needed re-filling.

Bought some hydraulic jack fluid from Halfords for 3.99, took the rubber cap out the side, and filled it until the oil reached the lip of the hole.

Put the bung back in and left it half an hour to settle, and it now lifts the wheel off the ground as it is supposed to.

Thanks Dave!

Martin