Spindles undercutting on the block..:(

Hello all....

Yesterday i had removed the valve cover of my 110's engine to replace the gasket...on close examination i noticed small undercutting by the spindles into the block(circled in red).

looked from the other side, the undercuts looked 'old' and the spindles dint have any aberations, alls running fine and i know the maxim "If its running dont booger with it" :ph34r: ...but i am curious to know, has any one seen this before?

post-13089-1236082404_thumb.jpg

Ah, pushrods! I doubt that it is the pushrods hitting the head - if it is then there will be fresh marks indicating this, polished in all probability. The pushrods in the centre of the picture are in their lowest position and never go lower, the ones on either side are 'lifting' the valves. Such damage could have occurred if the engine had been run with HUGE amounts of slack in the tappets such that the pushrods were rubbing the sides of the head where you indicated.

In short, you have nothing to worry about.

HTH

Chris

Ah, pushrods! I doubt that it is the pushrods hitting the head - if it is then there will be fresh marks indicating this, polished in all probability. The pushrods in the centre of the picture are in their lowest position and never go lower, the ones on either side are 'lifting' the valves. Such damage could have occurred if the engine had been run with HUGE amounts of slack in the tappets such that the pushrods were rubbing the sides of the head where you indicated.

In short, you have nothing to worry about.

HTH

Chris

damage ?

that's just part of the orginal casting - those curves are supposed to be there