Air conditioning

hbg650

Hi, can anyone tell me if they have had an issue with different air temp coming out of the left and right vents on a Discovery?

The left and right side have independant temp contol, but with both temp controls set to max cool, the left side is much cooler than the right side. The right side seems to be at about ambient or just below.

Can this be fixed???

Hi, can anyone tell me if they have had an issue with different air temp coming out of the left and right vents on a Discovery?

The left and right side have independant temp contol, but with both temp controls set to max cool, the left side is much cooler than the right side. The right side seems to be at about ambient or just below.

Can this be fixed???

Hi.

I have had the same issue with my Disco 2. I was told it was due to the sunlight sensor on the top of the dash causing more cold air to be directed to the side of the car facing the sun.

Try testing the sensor for fault (assuming you have a Disco 2. Not sure if the Disco 1 had this).

Run the AC at night and see if there is still a temp. difference left to right. If there is the sensor is likely to be faulty.

If it works like a normal heater it will close off the airflow through the matrix and (I think) also close off the coolant flow, so you get completely cold air, perhaps that isn't working properly but it would pay to check the workshop manual to see exactly how it is set up first

Thnaks, I have a V8. According to the Rave manual, there is a micro on the temp controller that vacuum operates the coolant flow valve. Judging by the number of other vacuum lines I have found split in the past, I suspect I'm looking for a vacuum leak....

I think you're barking up the right tree.

Later D2s with climate control have a sunshine sensor I think it is intended to compensate for the fact you can get hot and sweaty in strong sunlight even if the air temp is cold. Overall the system works less well than the old D1 heater and aircon, IMHO

I think you're barking up the right tree.

Later D2s with climate control have a sunshine sensor I think it is intended to compensate for the fact you can get hot and sweaty in strong sunlight even if the air temp is cold. Overall the system works less well than the old D1 heater and aircon, IMHO

Although the coolant valve has to operate correctly to achieve full cooling, I don't think it explains the difference in temperature of air coming out of left and right grilles.

I think there is a possibility that the temperature control knob on the right hand side is not fully operating the control flap which should shut off air passing through the heater matrix to achieve full cooling as on the right side. Although the heater matrix might be fully cold with no water circulation, ambient temperature air could be passing through it and mixing with cold air off the cooling evaporator coil and hence producing a mix of air not fully cooled as per the left side in which presumably no leakage of ambient air is occurring.

I think it might be worth looking at the control knob and link cables serving the right side outlets to check they are correctly adjusted and allowing the control flap to fully shut off as required.

I hope this may be of some use

Thanks for the detailed response. I think you may be right. If the problem was in the coolant control valve, bith sides would be warm, but even so, with the temp control knob all the way to CCW, there should be no warm air mixed with the cold air if the flap was closed off fully. I'll check the cables and the flap. The problem occurred quite suddenly. One day the air was cold out of both vents, then next day one cold one not. I had adjusted the RH side temp control knob in the mean time too.

• 4 months later...

I'm having exactly the same problem with my D2 (electronic climate-control version) - driver's side significantly warmer than passenger. Have you fixed your vehicles yet? What was the cause? Mine is going to a dealer tomorrow, so if I can stop them barking up the wrong matrix, I'll be happy.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...