Heater fan has a mind of its own

hattie

My wifes '03 Freelander TD4 has developed an annoying habit. With the engine hot, an arcing sound can be heard and the heater fan will suddenly start to run at high speed. This happens when the A/C is switched off and with the fan switch in any position including off. Almost sounds as though there is a small leak in the system which is somehow making the back of the switch damp but I haven't investigated. Coolant level doesn't seem to drop appreciably though. It did have a new heater maitrix about a year ago as it was leaking but this latest fault has only just arisen. Any ideas gladly received.

Hi

I would suggest that as you can hear an arcing sound then the switch is prob shot. If it allows its contacts to connect (or come close to connecting) you will get arcing over the gap.

Failing that as you say if there is water landing on the connector at the rear of the switch then this too could cause the short circuit.

Take it out and investigate - any form of electrical arcing could be potentially dangerous - arcing contacts cause heat - which can melt plastic - and start fires.

Hi

I would suggest that as you can hear an arcing sound then the switch is prob shot. If it allows its contacts to connect (or come close to connecting) you will get arcing over the gap.

Failing that as you say if there is water landing on the connector at the rear of the switch then this too could cause the short circuit.

Take it out and investigate - any form of electrical arcing could be potentially dangerous - arcing contacts cause heat - which can melt plastic - and start fires.

Hi

Thanks for that. Thought maybe it was a leak in the heater unit itself so this morning I have taken out the pollen filter and I can feel it is damp up inside the unit. Looks like the arcing is at the fan motor rather than the switch. Will have to remove the whole unit to find out where the leak is. Perhaps the heater radiator has gone again, after all it has been at least a year since a Land Rover main dealer replaced it!