TAP,TAP 200tdi TAP,TAP,TAP,TAP

Hi

Just bought a 1990 200tdi sw Def and there's a weird iregular tapping/knocking coming from the engine (bought it cheap knowing there was a problem with enjun!) that get's noiser and more regular as it warms up, lot of smoke too! starts on turn of the key! Old owner who I believe told me it started out of the blue and has just got worse!

Noise seems to be coming from the rear of the rocker cover, broken push rod? tappet? valve?

Any thoughts before I have a look tomorrow!

Cheers

Jason

Hi

Just bought a 1990 200tdi sw Def and there's a weird iregular tapping/knocking coming from the engine (bought it cheap knowing there was a problem with enjun!) that get's noiser and more regular as it warms up, lot of smoke too! starts on turn of the key! Old owner who I believe told me it started out of the blue and has just got worse!

Noise seems to be coming from the rear of the rocker cover, broken push rod? tappet? valve?

Any thoughts before I have a look tomorrow!

Cheers

Jason

It'll almost certainly be a blown headgasket - they tend to blow between cylinders 3 & 4. It'll be chuffing from the compression / ignition on piston 3.

Matt

It'll almost certainly be a blown headgasket - they tend to blow between cylinders 3 & 4. It'll be chuffing from the compression / ignition on piston 3.

Matt

Naaaaaaa! No head gasket symtoms!

Checked push rods, reset tappets to no avail it's a b*gger trying to locate, got me ear on the end of my jack bar listening all over the place, nearest that I can locate it to is sump.

Kicking a lot of smoke out too, starting to think it might be the crank pulley that's slipped on it's woodruff keys-Would that make a tapping noise?

Have a listen

can you get a compression test done?

i've heard a noise like that twice before, on different cars

one was a broken piston ring, which didnt take much to fix

the other one very shortly put one of the conrods out through the side of the block, one of the big end caps had cracked into two peices

i'd suggest you drop the sump off and check the condition of the big ends, if they are ok its a headoff job to check the rings and possibly the valves as well

Ian

Naaaaaaa! No head gasket symtoms!

Checked push rods, reset tappets to no avail it's a b*gger trying to locate, got me ear on the end of my jack bar listening all over the place, nearest that I can locate it to is sump.

Kicking a lot of smoke out too, starting to think it might be the crank pulley that's slipped on it's woodruff keys-Would that make a tapping noise?

Have a listen

The crank pulley slipping wouldn't cause it to make that noise and it would have a significant effect on the timing, which would probably stop it running.

It sounds like it may be a little end knocking, although I don't think that would cause an intermittent noise and wouldn't cause it to smoke IMO. It might be worth checking it's not one of the injectors, try slackening them off one at a time to see if the noise disappears or changes.

It sounds horrible and expensive whatever it is. :unsure:

Can you hear this noise at the exhaust end it sounds similar to what I had a few weeks ago, it was a broken valve but it had gone underneath on the valve seat.

:o splutter, lung full of smoke & a smelly ear :lol: No can't hear it at the exhaust end, kin bizare, just started her up tap,tap tap tap, tap, tap,tap tap tap tap not regular like it was a broken valve hitting every other time & would have spotted it with the rocker cover off.If you put a long screw-driver on to the rocker cover,block & yeh lug on the other end you can't hear it.

• 3 weeks later...
:o splutter, lung full of smoke & a smelly ear :lol: No can't hear it at the exhaust end, kin bizare, just started her up tap,tap tap tap, tap, tap,tap tap tap tap not regular like it was a broken valve hitting every other time & would have spotted it with the rocker cover off.If you put a long screw-driver on to the rocker cover,block & yeh lug on the other end you can't hear it.

200tdi's have got a little valve cap on top of the valve stem. Did you check these when you had the lid off ?

200tdi's have got a little valve cap on top of the valve stem. Did you check these when you had the lid off ?

Well I reckoned to have a good look but for the time involved can have another look at them!

Not touched her since, been to busy with my 109 :huh:

Ist thing as suggested try slacking off inj pipes one at a time , this will narrow it down to 1 of 4 if any change .

Cam follower slides can give a tap as well . HTSH

You might have more than one prob , as previous owner might have had a problem and kept going as long as he dared ?

Ist thing as suggested try slacking off inj pipes one at a time , this will narrow it down to 1 of 4 if any change .

Cam follower slides can give a tap as well . HTSH

You might have more than one prob , as previous owner might have had a problem and kept going as long as he dared ?

Already tried slacking off the inj pipes one at a time -No difference!

i know that sound, you have some valves hitting pistons, i've just scrapped my engine because of the same fault, check your timing, then spin the engine over and check it again, mine destroyed the crank where the woodruff key had had some fun, mine smoked like a pig on startup, then once warm ran fine, only chucking out diesel white smoke at 2000 rpm.

i did the tappets, made it worse, i thought i had a bent valve, so bought a head gasket and set to it, now fitting a new motor,

so pull the head off and check, its the only way, wish i had done it before i wrecked my motor,

hope your luck is better than mine,

BOW..

i know that sound, you have some valves hitting pistons, i've just scrapped my engine because of the same fault, check your timing, then spin the engine over and check it again, mine destroyed the crank where the woodruff key had had some fun, mine smoked like a pig on startup, then once warm ran fine, only chucking out diesel white smoke at 2000 rpm.

i did the tappets, made it worse, i thought i had a bent valve, so bought a head gasket and set to it, now fitting a new motor,

so pull the head off and check, its the only way, wish i had done it before i wrecked my motor,

hope your luck is better than mine,

BOW..

You know what? You could be right there bow as it does sound like the piston is hitting one of the valves! Find it hard to believe that the timing could be so far out to let this happen and still run?

• 1 month later...

Just got round to stripping down to the cam belt to check the timing/crank damper wood ruff key and much to my disapointment everthing looks fine :huh: except for a load of oil in there, everthing lines up!

Just got round to stripping down to the cam belt to check the timing/crank damper wood ruff key and much to my disapointment everthing looks fine :huh: except for a load of oil in there, everthing lines up!

If the tap sounds like tappets but you have checked them and they are ok then the sound will be most likely either the fuel lift pump or the brake vacuum pump. The lift pump is easy to check because you can simply remove and blank it for a very short period. The vacuum pump is a bit harder cos you shouldn't run the engine with it removed because of the cogleys underneath.

Checked lift pump (took it off and put a plate over hole) not that, don't think it's vacuem pump, checked timing again, all spot on (injection pump,flywheel,and 2 other cogs on cambelt) checked tappets again and all them little caps on top of valves-Sound!

Now that the weather is warmer it taps straight off from start up and is constant??? Starts turn of a key and still smokes white??

Checked lift pump (took it off and put a plate over hole) not that, don't think it's vacuem pump, checked timing again, all spot on (injection pump,flywheel,and 2 other cogs on cambelt) checked tappets again and all them little caps on top of valves-Sound!

Now that the weather is warmer it taps straight off from start up and is constant??? Starts turn of a key and still smokes white??

I presume the white smoke goes away after the first accelleration away ? If so thats summat else.

The brake vacuum pump noise is really hard to locate.

I went through months of ' it can't be that', and in fact the only reason i changed it was because i picked one up on ebay for 99p with £3 postage. My thought was that i wont get a new one cos i aint wasting £100 and if it is that then it will either get worse or better with the 99p version fitted.

Even when i got it, it took me 2 months to get round to fitting it because i still wasn't convinced the noise could be that.

Changed it and tap tap tap gone.

Mine started only when at full temperature and worse after a long hill climb or pulling out of a junction with a heavy trailer on the back. Noise was only there above 2,500 rpm. As time went on it started to be there from 2000rpm and still only when fully warmed up. The longer the drive the more the noise.

I still can't believe that them symptoms led me to the brake pump.

May be worth asking on ere if ya can run your engine with the brake pump and all it gears removed. I'm not sure if you can. I was tempted to give it a go but resisted temptation. The gears do just pull out. Mine was stuck on the vac pump so came out on their own.

The tapping or could even say knocking is that bad you would'nt dare drive it :(

Got a horrid feeling that the smoke is part & parcel of the knocking, should realy take the head off but there is so much other stuff to do on it that I don't want to unless I'm more or less sure I know what it is!

I could take vac pump off and try it , nothing to loose.

The tapping or could even say knocking is that bad you would'nt dare drive it :(

Got a horrid feeling that the smoke is part & parcel of the knocking, should realy take the head off but there is so much other stuff to do on it that I don't want to unless I'm more or less sure I know what it is!

I could take vac pump off and try it , nothing to loose.

I got to the point where i thought mine was going to self destruct at 2500 rpm.

Not saying yours is the same.

I really would get advice about running with the vac pump off. Not sure if ya can remove the pump and refit the bolts to keep the cog part in place or what ... Someone like Les might know.

Vac pump drive shaft also drives the oil pump, so if you take the Vac pump off, you'll need to cover the hole.

Cheers western

I will make a plate up, I will only have to start her up for a few seconds to see if it's that or not, personaly don't think so but at least I will be able to rule it out!