Defender to UK??

I am in the Middle East and have a Landrover Defender, left-hand drive and with 2.5 litre diesel engine, registered here, which I'm considering taking to the U.K.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's taken a foreign-plated vehicle into the UK and "nationalised" it there. I want to know about the bureaucracy involved, the hassles and pitfalls, and, of course, the cost. Please be as specific as possible.

In case it's relevant, it's a 2005 Landrover Defender Td5 110 County Station Wagon.

I dont think its too much of a problem,

Here is a good linky to get you started http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...icle/DG_4022583.

Id be happy to come out to Oman and drive it back for you ....

Have done a number of X military vehicles and providing you have proper papers to prove its age, you get a UK age related number plate...

Hope this helps...

I am in the Middle East and have a Landrover Defender, left-hand drive and with 2.5 litre diesel engine, registered here, which I'm considering taking to the U.K.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's taken a foreign-plated vehicle into the UK and "nationalised" it there. I want to know about the bureaucracy involved, the hassles and pitfalls, and, of course, the cost. Please be as specific as possible.

In case it's relevant, it's a 2005 Landrover Defender Td5 110 County Station Wagon.

There will be import duty (not sure of the amount) and VAT at 15% to pay when you import the car permanently.

Chris

It depends on how long you have owned the vehicle. When I shipped my 1991 Discovery back from Australia, I had owned the vehicle for over a year. I did not pay any import duty or tax. Just got it MOT'd, got an age related plate from DVLA and then taxed it. I was allowed to drive it in the UK for 3 months on it's Australian plates.

HTH

Ivan