Help!

richo

I thought I'd treat myself to a new series 3 landrover last weekend, with 5bearing engine, overdrive, felt like a prince on the road...that was saturday. - sunday I thought I take my missus out for a ride, drove down to the petrol station, filled up with petrol, and on the way back saw a very big patch of oil on the forecourt!

from what I could see, it was leaking out of a hole in the flywheel housing at the front - question is: is there a drainplug there? Because I never had a car with a flywheel housing with oil in, or is this a landrover thing?

And if anybody has any ideas of what the problem could be: PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

I thought I'd treat myself to a new series 3 landrover last weekend, with 5bearing engine, overdrive, felt like a prince on the road...that was saturday. - sunday I thought I take my missus out for a ride, drove down to the petrol station, filled up with petrol, and on the way back saw a very big patch of oil on the forecourt!

from what I could see, it was leaking out of a hole in the flywheel housing at the front - question is: is there a drainplug there? Because I never had a car with a flywheel housing with oil in, or is this a landrover thing?

And if anybody has any ideas of what the problem could be: PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Sadly, it would appear that your rear crankshaft oil seal has failed.

The hole in the flywheel housing is threaded for the purpose of fitting a wading plug before entering deep water to prevent water/mud from contaminating the clutch which is a dry type like any conventional car or truck.

It is normal practice not to have the wading plug fitted during normal use, so that if an oil leak occurs (as has happened in your case) the oil will not be trapped in the housing and contaminate the clutch.

Unfortunately, the standard way to replace the oil seal is to remove the engine or gearbox. Removing the engine is usually easier than removing the gear box on a series 3 because you have to take the floors and seat box out and take the gearbox up and out through the passenger door.

Regards,

Diff