sat nav software

v84x4

If you're going greenlaning then you can't really go wrong with Memory Map. It costs money usually, but of course there are other ways of obtaining it. I dunno if it's been posted before, I'm quite happy to post it up as long as the mods clear it first.

James

That'd be great!

Pete

May I suggest you two have an exchange of pm's followed by an exchange of emails perhaps..... ;)

Or do the honest thing and buy it like I did, copies are easy to get but how are companies supposed to survive if we keep nicking products off them, because that is what you are suggesting me thinks !!

I see a lot of posts on here going on about scumbags thats nick our motors, break into our garages and nick our tools and we all want to hang em :rolleyes:

But its ok for you to condone the theft of a product from a company that has given us a very good and usefull product !!! Shame on you.

Step in please mods

Tim

With all due respect, there is no need for the mods to step in as I didn't post it, nor intend to post it, without first obtaining their permission.

As far as the ethics of it goes, yes I would prefer to buy a copy and I do so for most of my software, but at £100 for MM with just one area of mapping...it's just not in my reach.

With all due respect, there is no need for the mods to step in as I didn't post it, nor intend to post it, without first obtaining their permission.

As far as the ethics of it goes, yes I would prefer to buy a copy and I do so for most of my software, but at £100 for MM with just one area of mapping...it's just not in my reach.

Exactly my point you was waiting for the ok to do so, I saved my £`s for a while as i beleived it to be a worthwhile purchase, i did`nt steal it nor is any of my software stolen let alone "most of it".

I just find it amuzing that all on here go ballistic when a scumbag attcks one of our own, but some ! quite openly offer the theft of software in this way; unbelievable.

Tim

I said most of my software is bought, not stolen. I only download things that are priced out of my range. Software and games development is the career path I've chosen, and it doesn't bother me. If I find a piece of software useful after using it, and I get to the point where I can afford it then I will of course buy it.

No-one seemed to mind when I posted Microcat :blink:

I have to agree with Tim, how can you condone fraudulent behavior is beyond me I understand your point you say it is out of reach but the product is good and commands the price it has to cover development costs, we are not talking a Microsoft here who are aware of illegal operating systems but due to their size it does not affect them so much.

Save your hard earned £££ and buy one, how would you feel if you had spent years developing the software only for someone to copy it, how would you feel if you worked for MM and the company went bust because people had illegally copied the software you would call them every name under the sun, do the decent thing and save up.

I said most of my software is bought, not stolen. I only download things that are priced out of my range. Software and games development is the career path I've chosen, and it doesn't bother me. If I find a piece of software useful after using it, and I get to the point where I can afford it then I will of course buy it.

No-one seemed to mind when I posted Microcat :blink:

Oh I see, so you download a illegal pirate copy of a piece of expensive software, use it: find out that its good and well worth the money, dispose of the illegal version, then go out and buy a legitimate copy ????? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

pull the other one.

This seems to have got out of hand and off topic.

Can a mod please remove all the irrelavant posts?

Pete

I dont think defending the theft of software obviously condoned is irrevalant to be honest, however you might be right in wanting to hide the content of this just incase someone working for MM see`s whats being done on here.

Oh I see, so you download a illegal pirate copy of a piece of expensive software, use it: find out that its good and well worth the money, dispose of the illegal version, then go out and buy a legitimate copy ????? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

pull the other one.

Yes. For example I downloaded both Call of Duty 4 and Crysis and played through them both, and then went out and bought both of them. The reason being that they were good games and worth the money. It's the same principle for Memory Map, if I had several hundred pounds lying around spare that wasn't needed for something else, then I would buy it.

Another good example is Centrafuse, the front-end software for the CarPC I'm building into my Focus. I downloaded it, tried it, liked it and I will subsequently buy it when I come to do the final fit this summer after Uni. This will cost me several hundred pounds.

Anyway, that's quite enough arguing about the ethics of software distribution. I respectfully agree to disagree.

Right, have you all finished, had your say?

I hope so!

If this 'discussion' goes any further it will be canned.

The differing opinions posted in this thread are those of individual members.

LR4X4 do not condone cribbing software, nor are we judge and jury regarding the actions of others with regard to this subject. If members chose to share information it is a matter between themselves. If they try to use this forum for such purposes they will be discouraged, and requested to have any such discussions elsewhere.

John

Just for some clarification...

The high cost of memory map is down to Ordnance Survey licensing not down to MM themselves. OS have decided to price electronic versions in line with printed copies in the belief that they will not damage sales of the paper maps. A bit short sighted, but the usual dilema of a traditional market in transition.

In my opinion, in full awareness of the availability of the OS maps on the world wide web, Memory Map should have divorced themselves from the maps and sold the application on it's own where they could get a decent margin. Then people could choose to add maps legally via OS or otherwise.

There seems to be very little happening in the way of development to MM and the product looks very stale now, in fact it hasn't changed for the last 2-3 years.

If you want a legitimate copy of MM, the cheapest way is to download free trial and then through license management tab purchase a single region license online through MM themselves. It costs about £35 IIRC.

For users of the old version of MM that want the latest s/w but don't want to pay for the maps all over again - install a legal copy of the latest MM. Then using a Hex Editor change the year date of the os map tiles to a current year. To save changing hundreds of files you can merge tiles into the GB grid letter regions. fyi changing "crown" to "clown" does the same thing. Just to reiterate this tip is for previously bought OS maps that work on the older versions of mm.

Cheers

Steve

Where I used to work the employer had a group licence for microsoft and other applications/programmes. If the IT people found you had unlicenced applications on your pc you were in for the high jump.

Would it me possible for a 4 x 4 club to get a 'group' or community licence so that it's members could share software such as MM? Would be cheaper for individual members whilst still being legal

Regards

Brendan

hi. does anyone have any advise about sat nav software and maps thought it might be usefull around devon ,im going to use a laptop pluss a usb reciever. thanks

My preferred Mapping software is 'Fugawi'. You can either get the 'Global Navigator' if you want to scan your own paper maps into it (or obtain maps from other sources). Or you can get the UK version of 'Fugawi', the 25000:1 versions being particularly suitable for Greenlaning (or any other general off-roading, powered or not).

I normally use the Fugawi Maps with my PDA and either a Bluetooth GPS or Garmin Etrex when in the Landy.

Colin.

Any reason you people don't use Google Earth if don't want to pay for a copy of any other software? It's freeware.

The only reasons I don't use Google Earth is that you need an Internet Connection and I don't think it will run on a PDA.

I have been known to use the Google Earth Plug-In for Fugawi Global Navigator as one of my 'other sources' for maps.

I do however prefer using Ordnance Survey maps for general use.

Colin.

This thread is for laptop gps software, PC platforms that is (or at least this what was intended to be for). For the PPC, PDA, phone platforms there are other options.

You don't need to be connected to the Internet to use it.

Other real reasons?

This thread is for laptop gps software, PC platforms that is (or at least this what was intended to be for). For the PPC, PDA, phone platforms there are other options.

You don't need to be connected to the Internet to use it.

Other real reasons?

I was answering the question about 'Laptop GPS Software' for which I use Fugawi. I just happen to use my PDA (also with Fugawi) in the Landy instead of a Laptop (most of the time).

I assumed that you needed a connection to the Internet for Google Earth to work because it has always stopped working when I have lost my Internet connection, perhaps someone can explain what my problem is if it does indeed work without the Internet.

If I could get Google Earth to work without an Internet connection it would be excellent to use when I didn't have an Ordnance Survey map of the area.

Colin.