NEW landy owner in need OF HELP!!! PLEASE

driftanimal

hi everyone ... been looking around the forum before posting but im still stuck..

basically just bought off a friend a DISCO on a 95 which i belive is a 300 TDi es ...

he had been driving it every day for a say 6 months without a problem .. he then parked 1 night and left it for about 1 month as he was using another car ....

he then went out to it and started it BUT nothing .... jumped it .. fine ran round all day as soon as the next day came .. flat as a pancake !!! .... so he bought a new battery ... started fine drove all day .. next day flat again!!! so a big power drain somewhere, took it to an auto electrician who by the sound s of it was on something other than asprin !! lol and said it could be down to telephone pilons????????????

anyway he has then parked it up for a further 3 months as he couldn't be bothered with it..... so i have bought it as a project and 1st step into offroading .... BUT stuck jump leads on to get me home and NOTHING .. ZIP..... dash lights come on but not oil light ... and when you try and start it a pic in top right of dash flashes with a car with a key in, wont turn over simply clicks from under dash passengers side .... ?? everything else works just wont seem to turn over .... it has a fob which also seems to not work and a sepperate sort of plug in immoberlizer(spelling) that even the LED at bottom doesn't flash so im thinking could it be this?

so to have gone on a bit but im new and need HELP!!!!!!!!

many thanks in advance!!

If the key symbol is flashing the immobiliser is activated so you need to find out why. Most likely cause is flat battery in the fob - how did you open it - with the key? Get a new battery (CR2032 watch battery) and resync it as shown in the book then see what happens. The immobiliser either needs to see a valid unlock signal from the plip, or a valid plip mobilisation from the passive coil in order to wake up happy and let it start.

The oil light not being on is probably a dud oil pressure switch and not related - 300Tdi oil pressure switches are carp.

Power pylons or indeed anything else spewing out strong RF radiation (our local TV station does it as did the telephone exchange some years ago) can cause alarm problems on some vehicles, either by jamming the signal from the fob (car stays immobilised) or by continually "waking up" the alarm ECU because it thinks something is trying to send a signal - tends to affect the more complicated cars and I think is a common problem on P38 Range Rovers for example. Not sure if it affects Discovery 1s, I haven't heard of it.

Fairly Straight Forward to check for current drain, disconnect a lead off the battery (as per manual!) and put a Multimeter on Current setting in series with Battery..check the load...

...If there is a high reading, its then down to finding it...

You could try pulling all the fuses one by one and see which one drops the current... P.I.T.A. I know but electrickery is sometimes!

If the New battery has been drained to death, it may never recover hence this not working... Are you using big enough jump leads?

....The clicking could be down to charge level as there is not enough oomph to pull the relays in... Don't know if an immobliser issue would make it click TBH.

Anyway some thoughts and good luck

Power pylons or indeed anything else spewing out strong RF radiation (our local TV station does it as did the telephone exchange some years ago) can cause alarm problems on some vehicles, either by jamming the signal from the fob (car stays immobilised) or by continually "waking up" the alarm ECU because it thinks something is trying to send a signal

Used to get a similar problem at the local Sainsbury's, which is next to the local BT exhchange. Anyone with a Ford Exploder who parked too close to the exchange couldn't restart the car after the shopping because of the RF interferance affecting the immobiliser.

Yours sounds like the immobiliser is not switching off, as suggested try the remote battery first.

simlar happened to me a week or so ago but fob worked turned out to be starter motor jamed changed it and it started first time the click could well be the starter motor cause its is on the passenger side of the engine under the turbo and airfilter pippes just a quick thought

• 3 weeks later...
Spider??????!!!!!!!! :unsure:

thanks for all the help and ideas..........

replaced spider, replaced alternator, bought new battery and replaced the 100amp alt fuse as this had blown too ........ oh and changed key fob batt..

touch wood, started drove and has been ever since well last week or so anyway .. without any trouble at all!!!!!!!!!

so fingers crossed its all sorted .. and thanks again to everyone that helped ..

all thats remaining now is to trace a HUGE oil leak!!! just replaced breather and rocker gasket and see whats next....

thanks again all