ANY ADVICE ON CHANGING STEERING DROP ARM?

uksniper1

HI GUYS..IM GONNA CHANGE THE STEERING DROP ARM ON ME RRC,,,AS SHES STILL WONDERING AROUND ON THE ROAD,IVE CHANGED THE TRACK RODS ,IMPROVED A LITTLE BUT STILL QUITE BAD,SO IM DOING THE DROP ARM,,ANY POINTERS,,TIPS OR PROBS I MAY ENCOUNTER?..THANKS..WAYNE..... ;) ..ALSO I UNDERSTAND THERE A ADJUSTER ON STEERING BOX TO TAKE UP THE SLACK,WHERE IS THIS ADJUSTER AND WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TACKLE THIS TOO,,,THANKS LOADS... ;)

:lol: Nige...

Hi Wayne.

You'll need a hydraulic puller to get the arm off. Bit of a tight sqeeze to get it off, and comes all of a sudden when it does so don't leave your head in the way!

The adjuster for the steering box is the allen bolt on top of the box, undo the lock nut and adjust. Full procedure's in the manuals or rave download.

Have you checked your swivel bearings/settings? Is your damper ok? Loads of possibilities, have you done a search on here?

Good luck with it mate.

:lol: Nige...

Hi Wayne.

You'll need a hydraulic puller to get the arm off. Bit of a tight sqeeze to get it off, and comes all of a sudden when it does so don't leave your head in the way!

The adjuster for the steering box is the allen bolt on top of the box, undo the lock nut and adjust. Full procedure's in the manuals or rave download.

Have you checked your swivel bearings/settings? Is your damper ok? Loads of possibilities, have you done a search on here?

Good luck with it mate.

thanks for the reply mate,,i knew it would be easy lol,,never is ,is it,, ;) ..ive got a adjustable hub puller that should free it so ill give that a go,ermm steering damper looks a bit shot,so i orderd a new 1(be here 2moz hopefully).aint got a idea on the swivell bearings an stuff mate this is me first rangie so still new to working on em.. :( ....thanks for the help..cheers.. ;)

HI GUYS..IM GONNA CHANGE THE STEERING DROP ARM ON ME RRC,,,AS SHES STILL WONDERING AROUND ON THE ROAD,IVE CHANGED THE TRACK RODS ,IMPROVED A LITTLE BUT STILL QUITE BAD,SO IM DOING THE DROP ARM,,ANY POINTERS,,TIPS OR PROBS I MAY ENCOUNTER?..THANKS..WAYNE..... ;) ..ALSO I UNDERSTAND THERE A ADJUSTER ON STEERING BOX TO TAKE UP THE SLACK,WHERE IS THIS ADJUSTER AND WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TACKLE THIS TOO,,,THANKS LOADS... ;)

IT can be done insitu..... Don't ever TRY :blink: getting it off!!!! It is a killer job. Been there, done that and sure you are in to knakker the bearing on the upper if not the lower Swivel pin. There is a thread on it somehwere. Search with "Drop arm removal" and you will find this thread somewhere!! :o

It's not a killer job getting the drop arm off?!?!?! Not with the right kit.

It'll never come off with a standard gear puller, but as I said I used a hydraulic puller from a tool hire place and it came off a treat.

With regards to the swivel bearings you'll need to strip the hubs etc back and you may as well replace them but I would recommend a manual for your first go. Get a couple of swivel overhaul kits and a manual and it's dead straight forward.

It's not a killer job getting the drop arm off?!?!?! Not with the right kit.

Sure go ahead then. Not many workshops have the kit though. The hydraulic puller is actually the best tool for the job but without it your truck is doomed to stand for ages!! :o:o

Before you go pulling steering drop arm off, have you checked the panhard rod bushs?

Get someone to waggle the wheel side to side and then inspect the steeringclosely to see where the play is. I would want to be absolutly certain the drop arm had to come off before I remove one again.

There's no reason to take the drop arm off unless it's loose on the splines... in which case it'll fall off anyway because it's loose !

If the ball joint on the end of the drop arm is the problem just replace the ball joint, it can be done with the arm on the box unless it's one of the very early type... can't believe there's any of those left though, last one I saw was about 10 years ago !

If you really can't get hold of a hydraulic puller the only other way I've got a drop arm off is to remove the whole steering box from the vehicle, have an assistant hold the assembly with the output shaft resting on decent sized block of wood and use a sledge hammer on the "protusion" on the back of the drop arm. That'll usually shift it in a couple of blows, just make sure you both keep well clear and it's essential that the box is resting purely on the end of the output shaft or you risk destroying the box.

As others have said there's no way it'll shift with a normal puller.