Tow-hitch/tank guard

stageonesimmo

I'm looking at putting a tank-guard and demountable hich set-up on the disco.

Thing is, I've only got a 1.5" inch lift and carry a roof-tent and loads of gear so I was hoping to keep weight down if possible. So, rather than something like the guardian or south-down tank guards with built-in hitch mounts, (which due to the engineering required are heavy), I was looking at a normal de-mountable hitch and ally guard. Thing is I can only find that combination from scrap-iron and I dont really want to go there!

So, anyone got any ideas on a hitch that will fit with an ally tank guard - problem is that most forms of each BOTH use the JATE ring points to mount to and mostly both on the inside of the chassis rails so they'd clash and I could only fit one at a time.

I've been looking for weeks now and drawn a blank so was just wondering what other folk have got fitted so I can copy that and move on as I'm bored loking now!

[Or, should I just bite the bullet and get on the phone to scrap-iron?...........]

Bri

I have the standard LR tow bar on my Disco, but without the drop plate fitted. The towball is mounted straight onto the towbar, and isn't too high. Despite what everyone who sees it says ("that'll get hooked up straight away") it's not taken a bump yet. And I don't exactly avoid the difficult stuff :ph34r:

I'm going to use the towbar to mount my fuel tank guard to. Just cut a sheet of 4mm aluminium (actually I'm going to use thinner as I don't need THAT much protection) to shape, an bolt on.

Cheap and chearful B)

any chance of some pictures

I been agonising over taking my tow bar off as I never tow anything but dont want to leave the fuel tank unprotected and it makes a useful recovery point

But no way in hell i am gonan pay nearly £300 for guardian or Southdown tank guard

so any ideas are more than welcome

I'm looking at putting a tank-guard and demountable hich set-up on the disco.

Thing is, I've only got a 1.5" inch lift and carry a roof-tent and loads of gear so I was hoping to keep weight down if possible. So, rather than something like the guardian or south-down tank guards with built-in hitch mounts, (which due to the engineering required are heavy), I was looking at a normal de-mountable hitch and ally guard. Thing is I can only find that combination from scrap-iron and I dont really want to go there!

So, anyone got any ideas on a hitch that will fit with an ally tank guard - problem is that most forms of each BOTH use the JATE ring points to mount to and mostly both on the inside of the chassis rails so they'd clash and I could only fit one at a time.

I've been looking for weeks now and drawn a blank so was just wondering what other folk have got fitted so I can copy that and move on as I'm bored loking now!

[Or, should I just bite the bullet and get on the phone to scrap-iron?...........]

Bri

Bri I have a disco parts ( I think) removable towbar here spare if you want it? cost me £50 iirc.