Awkward place to Repair

white90

Found whilst cleaning up :(

I'm planning to cut out the triangle section and replace with new steel

And the other side for comparison

suggestions for cleaning up the steel before painting as a power wire brush is inaccessable.

Sandblasting would be perfect but I don't have one or ready access to get to one.

post-5-1236284760_thumb.jpg

post-5-1236284874_thumb.jpg

post-5-1236284917_thumb.jpg

what about a needle gun or sometimes called a bag of nails ,we used these for fettling cleaning up castings you probably need nine inches of space to get one in just a thought,chris someone might have a better suggestion.

you wont like this Tony but mine started there, i patched that then two years later it was the fwd face between the webs - worth checking your there although from the photo looks like its been done.

Why not weld a new web in on top or cut out and replace?

Found whilst cleaning up :(

I'm planning to cut out the triangle section and replace with new steel

And the other side for comparison

suggestions for cleaning up the steel before painting as a power wire brush is inaccessable.

Sandblasting would be perfect but I don't have one or ready access to get to one.

My Hybred chassis rusted on the rear side of the cross member which is marginally easier to reach.

I used a saw blade to cut out the triangles (there are two per side on the RRC chassis stupidly left open at the top) then used a grind stone on a flexy drill shaft to clean to bare metal.

To be honest it took ages but I got it all out eventually. looking at your pictures it is possible that you will need to remove the metal on the chassis as well though you might get away with it if you are lucky as it may not just be the triangle that is rotten? Mine was rotten on the chassis leg as well as the missing triangles so I hade to plate the chassis first then add new fillet triangles (if this makes sense). I suggest that you clean the dirt away and check the metal on the chassis then paint the whole lot after your repairs. It would be wise to check both sides front and back of the cross member as rust is starting to take hold.

Good luck.

Marc.

Dan

could you elaborate please, I'm guessing it needed to be there so thought I'd better repair it?

Pinny tools I have only include drills/grinder no compressor/needle gun thanks anyway.

Marc

The rear x member was shot blasted last year and painted and is in reasonable order,

the chassis rail inside the triangle is solid I found this hole using a pointed hammer

a screw driver didn't puncture the hole.

James

yours was the reason I was looking here, the the back piece is solid a screwdriver can't be hammered through it so I'm planning to clean as much as possible then paint/waxoyl and keep an eye on it.

The chassis is 11years newer so I'm hoping it will last a while yet

in time a galv chassis will be the way forward but to date this will be the very first rust repair(a slippery slope I know) I'm hoping some maintenance now will put off the inevitable.

I reckon it will end up being a mix of Luke's suggestion and a lot of elbow grease with files, scrapers and emery paper. Get it as good as you can to weld it up then hit it with some rust killer and paint.

Hi Tony,

I had similar rust on the webs on my 110. I cut them out and replaced with new 'triangles' that I cut from sheet steel. Once welded in, I then welded a plate between the two webs and to the crossmember and the chassis rail, thereby completely ' boxing in' the webs and eliminating the mud trap that caused the problem in the first place. It is very tight under a 110 CSW because of the second row floor, but I managed to do the work during the replacement of the bolt in underbody cross member (exclusive to 110 station wagons). So you should have enough room, but it will be fiddly.

Regards,

Diff

No i meant just cut it off.

I really carn't see that it's doing anything.

Think about the same x-member on a discovery, no webbing and covers far less surface area.

I'd be tempted to attack yours with the plasma cutter and turn it into a copy of a disco one.