300tdi to td5 pre 03 headlight swap

ashtray

assuming that all people looking in this topic are people wondering whether or not to buy a set of td5 headlights to replace the completely silver reflector 300tdi lights. DO IT NOW!!!!! i replaced mine the other day for an mot issue, and the difference in beam pattern is amazing, they dont just look pretty, you get a massive improvement in visibility, main beam has improved so much its like i have spots fitted and low beam is so perfectly clipped its like its got xenons. Definately a must buy for any 300tdi owner! and they are only 25 plus the dreaded on p****cks.

just thought id reccomend them thats all... tata for now (no pun intended)

i have the early td5 headlights, but i dont think they have anything different to the standard headlights (apart from the black surround)

i think you will find that its down to them being new for them being brighter.

assuming that all people looking in this topic are people wondering whether or not to buy a set of td5 headlights to replace the completely silver reflector 300tdi lights. DO IT NOW!!!!! i replaced mine the other day for an mot issue, and the difference in beam pattern is amazing, they dont just look pretty, you get a massive improvement in visibility, main beam has improved so much its like i have spots fitted and low beam is so perfectly clipped its like its got xenons. Definately a must buy for any 300tdi owner! and they are only 25 plus the dreaded on p****cks.

just thought id reccomend them thats all... tata for now (no pun intended)

Are they a direct replacement? and do you have standard H4's in them?

thanks

Dave

Mmm interesting...

Read another forum that the reflector is much better... seen some on ebay for £55 each..

And I have found them new for £42 each! Obviously check the numbers before buying.....

EDIT: Just read the first post properly... £25 at paddocks??? EVEN BETTER!

See details XBC105120

HEADLAMP-RH-RHD

Brand: MARELLI

Supplier: ALLMAKES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our price: £ 40.08, including VAT 15.00%

See details XBC105120

HEADLAMP ASSY RH - RHD

Supplier: BRITPART

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our price: £ 41.35, including VAT 15.00%

See details XBC105130

HEADLAMP-LH-RHD

Supplier: ALLMAKES

Our price: £ 40.08, including VAT 15.00%

See details XBC105130

HEADLAMP ASSY LH - RHD

Supplier: BRITPART

Our price: £ 41.35, including VAT 15.00%

Paddocks don't say, they are a pattern part so you will not see the Land Rover logo on them.

I understand that these lamps give out a bit more light (brighter) as the black surround is reflective on the inside and therefore sending some stray light back onto the lamps reflector. Don't know if this true.

from inspection they are ex land rover parts. as the lenses have the land rover stamped, just slightly melted out. and they come in marelli boxes. comparison between genuine and paddocks £25 lamps shows no difference in quality, just purely the lr badge melted out. they dont come with bulbs but the side light holder is included. im well pleased with them, simmonites wanted 80 odd quid plus vat plus delivery, so i went with paddocks 24 pound something +vat and i bought myself a thermostat to allow me free postage, (free postage after £50 before vat of total items. well worth buying

attached is a pic of my disco with the new lights

post-12228-1236967426_thumb.jpg

teabag they look so much smarter dont they! Noticed your from north kent, the pictures of mine are at a greenlane between cobham and snodland if u dont already know it, good lane

Hi ashtray, I do know of the lane, but I haven't driven it, only a recce a few years ago on a mountain bike, It's still got the bomb holes and mud I see.

yer its pretty sloppy up there now, i got stuck, my own fault though. jim with his gwyn lewis'd 90 didnt. good fun but i reckon it may get shut soon, the main track is still fine, the bit to the side is turning into proper mess, good for me but im sure some ramblers gonna have a moan someday

Sorry karlo, I should have giving u credit for the pic. Still buying goodies then.

No worries, I have no problem with the use of my pic :lol:

I'm always buying goodies just don't tell the wife :lol::lol::lol::unsure:

Next project 4 x 8" wipacs on the rack (removing lightbar)

Also on the looking for a 300 Heavy Duty rear bumper at the right price.

I found the D2 lights not as bright as my 300 ones but some Xenon Bulbs made a big difference imo.

Hi

Dose that mean you can also fit 2001/02 head lights to a 300? :huh:

All the best.

Hi,

Aren't the 01/02 the same as 00 ones, ie the above discussion....

or do you mean the 'Lexus' style fronts with seperate lamps???

I think the later ones roll round into the wing, obviously do-able but a lot more work...

Cheers

M

the 4 eye headlamps required trimming the wings, as the headlamp has a square profile into the wing, unlike 200/300tdi's which are more curved, and some modification the the panel behind the lamps is required, all do able, and not really too hard, just whether or not u want to start cutting up your bodywork. i think paddocks want nearly £200 a lamp for a 4eye disco 2

• 5 months later...

the 4 eye headlamps required trimming the wings, as the headlamp has a square profile into the wing, unlike 200/300tdi's which are more curved, and some modification the the panel behind the lamps is required, all do able, and not really too hard, just whether or not u want to start cutting up your bodywork. i think paddocks want nearly £200 a lamp for a 4eye disco 2

Hi Ashtray....you seem in the know on headlight upgrades. You said the series II "4 eye" headlights could be fitted to a series I disco, but with a bit of brute force. I understand that the discoI wings need cutting back to square. And I understand that the round bracket behind the light needs to become square. I have the following questions though:

1) Can you tell it's been done? e.g any bad gaps, holes or misalignments.

2) What about the facia under the "4 eye" headlight, does it fit a discoI ok? Any gaps?

3) Instead of squaring up the discoI wings, how about grinding back the inside of the "4 eye" plastic backing? Is there enough plastic to grind out without having to eat into the reflector?

Just asking because once I cut the wings square, there's no going back:)

Any help much appreciated.

PS: By "4 eye" I am referring to the following photo:

post-18825-125067164883_thumb.jpg