I was just having a think - dangerous thing I know...

If the new bling one from Richards or Marslands has say a winch cross member or body mounts raised, is it still legal as a ''direct'' replacement? or even rollcage mounts welded on.

Depends on the wheelbase, overhangs, and mounts, and as to if if it accepted as dimesionally in the critical points similar to Standard

Roolcage mounts would be seen as "additional" rather than "modifications" as these could be done to a standard chassis

Nige

If the new bling one from Richards or Marslands has say a winch cross member or body mounts raised, is it still legal as a ''direct'' replacement? or even rollcage mounts welded on.

The words say a replacement chassis "of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer/manufacturer (e.g. receipt)" so much depends on how the chassis is described on the receipt.

Steve

I'd say it should be fine. I mean who would know? Unless you go and tell them about it no MOT tester will no that the winch mount is a modification to a new chassis. And unless you tell them, how will they even know its a new chassis? If its of the same spec they wouldn't be able to tell how old it is and you could say its always been on the vehicle and they couldn't prove otherwise.

Worth clarifying there HfH, that replacing a knackered chassis with a brand new bolt-in replacement from Richards or Marsland for example doesn't require an SVA/whatever and is just considered a replacement part like any other as you're not modifying it. It's when you replace your knackered chassis with one from another already registered vehicle, or modify your existing chassis as above that the problems can arise.

That's how I've always read the rules anyway, hopefully I've got the right end of the stick :)

That's my understanding.

However even if you do replace the chassis with a 2nd hand one, but all other parts remain original (at least original type).

How is anyone going to know that the chassis has been swapped at all? The regs say SVA, but tbh only if you tell them about it.

A standard vehicle really shouldn't need an SVA. Same would go if it was a classis car like a Herold or something.

You might have two, one with perfect body, engine and running gear but knackered chassis and another with a solid chassis, panel damage and a dodgy engine. Swapping the good chassis onto the other car would be no more dangerous or deceiving than buying a new chassis. Just make sure you then scrap the remains of it and fill in all the correct paper work.

Yes i know what you're saying but we still need rules to ensure vehicle safety and to prevent illegal vehicles.

It's how the rules are defined and applied that's the problem.

Straightforward repairs and replacements are easily coped with by the MOT system, modifications are not.

That should be where the SVA comes in, the trouble is it was never really designed to cope with the type of mods that we generally do. What's needed is a VIC/Enhanced MOT, to deal with the situation in a more streamlined, easily understandable and affordable way.

VOSA are not 4x4 experts, as qualified as they may be, they deal with general vehicle identity and safety issues.

Now if VOSA really wanted to get their head around this and understand the issues, Who would they speak to?

That is the problem, we do not have any kind of representative body, despite the amount of both amateur and professional builders and the huge modified parts industry.

The kit car and classic car world seem to be able to lobby, why can't we?

Probably because we can't even agree who's "show" will be the best. :(

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Maybe we at LR4x4 should see about setting up some sort of 4x4 organisation/representative body for just such a thing.

It does seem silly when you can literally build a brand new classic car, retaining none of the original parts and then slap the ID of a tax exempt vehicle on it and be ok and legal, yet you can't even bobtail a Disco with technically needing an SVA.