Select neutral fault

Range Rover 4.6hse 1996

Has any one got any ideas??? I was driving along and the select neutral came up on the message centre. There was no noises out of the ordinary, no crunch, nothing!! The tank still drove as normal. Went home which luckily was only a few hundred metres. Now when ever I start her up, if its in anything but neutral, the message comes up and stays. The lights on the H gate keep flashing. It will go into gear D , 3,2 & 1 and will go into reverse. Drives ok, no unusual bumps or grinds, the only thing that happens is that when you go over 35mphish the message centre starts to beep to draw your attention to the select neutral. Tried to select the low range , makes all the right beep beep noises and lights flash on the H gate but stays in high even though message centre says low. Now this is another thing that has me perplexed. When the message first came up the turn signal noise, you know that nice meaty click click sound also dissappeared but all the lights work. Switch the engine off and turn on the hazards and the clicl click is there, loud and clear, switch the engine on and the noise goes but hazards still flashing. Over the last few days, I have read lots of accounts that these odd sort of electrical problems often dont show up when you stick it on a diagnostics, so just wanted to canvass some opions before lashing out on same just to join the merry band who have paid for diagnosis just to find there is nothing showing and are still left in the dark. The last time I used the low box was over xmas & new year when we drove to Lithuania, 1,296 miles door to door. When there we had minus 15c and just over a foot of snow, which gets nicely compacted to a nice icy surface. The locals are by law supposed to fit snow tyres at winter, no probs for a range r. and there a lot who have studded tyres. Had to use low a couple of times when stuck in deep snow in awkward spots. On the way back we went through blizzards, heavy snow falling and virtual white outs as well as solid compacted snow which the surface at night froze to quasi black ice and traffic was restricted down to 30mph through poland. The range behaved great in all this so am mystified over this odd fault. Believe that its electrical more than anything else. Sorry to ramble on but wanted to give as much background as possible.

I'm guessin here as im not familiar with the P38 but i suspect that the gearbox has its own ECU. If it does I would locate it and check for corrosion/water ingress on the connector.

What exactly does this message mean? Is it advising the driver to select neutral and if so for what reason?

I'm guessin here as im not familiar with the P38 but i suspect that the gearbox has its own ECU. If it does I would locate it and check for corrosion/water ingress on the connector.

What exactly does this message mean? Is it advising the driver to select neutral and if so for what reason?

Reading through the owners handbook it just says that it is a non ctritical message usually caused by trying to select a gear after changing from high to low or vice versa.

This is most likely to be the transfer box motor, it changes the transfer box from hi to low range. I've just changed one due to this fault. It isnt picking up that its fully in hi range and so asks you to select neutral, you'll find it doesnt change to low range. Think they're about £200 from dealers

This is most likely to be the transfer box motor, it changes the transfer box from hi to low range. I've just changed one due to this fault. It isnt picking up that its fully in hi range and so asks you to select neutral, you'll find it doesnt change to low range. Think they're about £200 from dealers

Did yours have the indicator noise fault as well??