Did you know

treebloke

My first licence was in a little red book. Nice hard front and back, just the right size for your wallet, never faded or fell apart.

My paper licence has been in 8 pieces for about the past 20 years, the writing has all but worn off. It does not easily fit into my wallet.

When do you need to get a photo licence, or is it only new drivers that need them?

if your existing licence is unreadable or your address has changed then you really should get a new licence. I got my present photocard licence on change of address, no charge.

I still have my red licence and my orange provisional.......sad?

They offered me a photo licence but my signature is somewhat wayward and would not fit into their tinkle little box. After two attempts I gave up. Glad I didn't get one now.

Steve

Edit.....I did not write tinkle.......the system changed it from my wording.

TBH, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Mine runs out soon, which means I got mine not that long after they were introduced, and I remember the application form and all of the accompanying literature stating that it would need renewing in 10 years. Likewise, all of the news articles written about the photo licences at the time mentioned the 10 year period.

TBH, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Mine runs out soon, which means I got mine not that long after they were introduced, and I remember the application form and all of the accompanying literature stating that it would need renewing in 10 years. Likewise, all of the news articles written about the photo licences at the time mentioned the 10 year period.

The fuss is why the f$%^ should I need to pay for something that used to be free! Plus its a royal nuisance for no reason, I could at least accept it if the charge was for changing the information but its not.

Marc.

I thought the only thing that was free about the old licence was changing address, which is still free with the photo ones. IIRC they still charged you if you had to replace it due to loss, theft or falling apart.

Plus its a royal nuisance for no reason, I could at least accept it if the charge was for changing the information but its not.

It is the same reason as why we change our passports every 10 years - people age and the photos need to be updated. Now passports...there's a lot of money for not much.

Just a word of warning from the Performance Bikes site. Several people have sent off renewals, only to find car or M/cycle entitlement is missing on the new license. If you have no proof of entitlement - eg pass certificate- then they will not add the missing entitlement.

Several ideas have been forwarded, such as photocopy your current license and get it notarised before sending it off to the DVLC, or "loose" your current license, apply for a replacement, and if it is incorrect, "find" lost license with proof of entitlements.

One member of the PB site has had to re-sit his car test, and a couple of others are having to redo the bike test, on top of paying seventeen and a half quid for the wrong license!!!!!

As an aside, in the 1990's on the Isle of Man the license was valid for 10 years, and in Sth Australia, I can buy my license for up to 10 years at a time. If you don't carry it with you it's a $200 fine and 3 points!

desmodog