Change the Transfer Box?

Really chuffed as just bought a 1988 Defender complete with RR running gear and it’s 3.5 V8 4 speed auto with rebuilt engine and gearbox and she drives really well - except.....

I’ve not got underneath yet but I understand that it has a 410 Transfer box and that is probably the reason that I feel the power unit seems not to be as casual a power delivery as a Disco V8 that have tried. The truck seems to require another gear or overdrive when your on the main roads doing 50 - 60.

Is the 410 (1.410) Transfer box designed for heavy and off road and forestry stuff on hills and so too low geared for cruising?

What might be a good replacement would it be a 1.222? which I’ve seen on the label on the side of a box within the Tech Forum about changing one!

Don’t know what the numbers mean - I just know I’m going to have to change to T/box but what to?

Anyone advise please?

the 1.410:1 is the ratio, all 90 & 110's except for newer vehicles have this, the 410 is a god all round unit for all types of work. mine has a 410 & a overdrive, they work fine for me

the 1.222 Discovery ratio is meant to give better main road/motorway drive, but affects the other high range gears too so not so good when towing a heavy trailer

the 1.222 Discovery ratio is meant to give better main road/motorway drive, but affects the other high range gears too so not so good when towing a heavy trailer

I see - that is my experience pulling a loaded 3.5 Ton trailer with my Disc - you really need to be in low ratio when pulling away when it's just slightly uphill but then it's a relaxed cruise on the motorway!

That must mean the Defender will pull the trailer like it's not there but scream on the fast roads?

How difficult is an overdrive to fit with an auto or is the auto an irrelevance?

a defender doesn't 'scream' it just gets on with the job, but you do know a heavy trailer is attached.

not sure if a overdrive will be happy behind a autobox as it can't change in/out like a autobox kicks down/changes gear.

first you need to determine what you really want to do with your truck.

if you do not pull a trailer then opt to change the gear ratio to the 1.222 - ask Mr Ashcroft about it. i've done it with my Td5 90.

if you do more highway then off raod then it's also a good choice as you'll get a lil more relaxed crusing and the V8 will not have to be excessively revved.

i doubt you can fit an OD to the box as you mentioned you have an automatic mated to it.

The auto box is perfect for towing. No need for setting your clutch alight or even using low box for "normal" trailers. Just stick it in Drive and away you go!

I run a 4 speed auto with 1.22 behind a 200TDi and it is very relaxed at motorway speeds. Well, apart from the noise and vibrations from the rest of the truck!!

Yes - thanks all for input.

I'm inclined at some point to change the TF Box to the more relaxing 1.222 as that the sort of driving I like.

Think i'll soft top truck too!

I do tow fully laiden Ifor Wil. trailer but hoping the V8 will compensate a bit for the wrong gearing at pull aways and then for the muddy bit use LO ratio.

Are these 2 the only TF Box options?

Thanks for the Ashcroft pointer. I'll give him a call and discuss - there may be another alternative!!

Will get some idea of cost too - maybe swopsy....