Fuel starvation on my new trayback

Ian M

after doing abit of testing at treeblokes place today ive come across a problem which i thought i may encounter, im running a fuel tank mounted on top of the chassis behind the cab, now when i fitted it, i fitted the feed union as low in the bottom of the tank as i could, however running just under half a tank today on side slopes and inclines i get fuel starvation after a while.

the problem is, the tank isnt as big as a std 90 tank and after a days winch challenge its going to be well down under a half a tank.

the obvious answer is to fit a swirl pot inline with a low pressure pump feeding it,

however i was wondering , what does a standard 90 tank have built in it to prevent this as standard?

after doing abit of testing at treeblokes place today ive come across a problem which i thought i may encounter, im running a fuel tank mounted on top of the chassis behind the cab, now when i fitted it, i fitted the feed union as low in the bottom of the tank as i could, however running just under half a tank today on side slopes and inclines i get fuel starvation after a while.

the problem is, the tank isnt as big as a std 90 tank and after a days winch challenge its going to be well down under a half a tank.

the obvious answer is to fit a swirl pot inline with a low pressure pump feeding it,

however i was wondering , what does a standard 90 tank have built in it to prevent this as standard?

All modern(ish) Land Rover tanks have a built in swirl pot. All it needs is a small "box" sat on the bottom of the tank that has a small feed hole allowing fuel in and out at a restricted rate and the return pipe feeds into it too. If you have a look inside your standard 90 tank, if you still have it, you should see one where the fuel pump or pickup pipe sits. Ideally the fuel return comes into the pot at an angle across the pickup hole, that way the venturi effect of the fuel passing the hole pulls more fuel in creating a higher level inside the pot.

A very good current alternative is to use the pump unit from a plastic tank as these have a very good swirl pot built into them and can be adapted to almost any length so they sit on the bottom, just a bit of a pain to fabricate a collar for them but it can be done.